Sign in to follow this  

Cam Chain Tensioner Screw-Up

I'll preface this by saying I am an extreme novice w/bike repair. Something goes wrong and I try to fix it and learn as I go. BIKE IS A 2005 TE450.

In any case, I thought I had an oil leak at the tensioner cover. I ordered the gasket and replaced it. HOWEVER, I just pulled the tensioner cover off of the case by the two 8mm bolts. I never took out the 10mm bolt or spring.

When I reinstalled the tensioner I never retracted the plunger into the assembly. I just caught a thread for each of the 8mm's and tightened away. Of course, starting the bike was extremely difficult after that.

I got it started and rode it up and down the street for about 5 minutes. Shut it down and it wouldn't start again. Button, kick, nothing.

I let it sit for awile on the trickle charger and eventually it started. I took it for another ride of about 15 minutes this time.

I figured something is wrong and searched the forum and found the error in my ways. I was supposed to remove the 10mm first and the spring, retract the plunger into the assembly and then put them back last.

So, I did that and wah-lah it started and ran w/no problems that I can tell of. I took it out for an hour ride in the woods and it seemed fine.

My question is did I do and permanent or repairable damage that I should check for? Valve adjustment, chain, chain slider, timing? Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by mikebru
Missing Information

It would wear the chain. I doubt much else. If you remove the bolt and take out the tensioner, you can judge by how many clicks you have left, if there is any wear? You might just leave it alone and ride. I bet the threads on the block got a little wear.

How many clicks should be ideally showing ie not too far gone.

Cheers.