Sign in to follow this  

Shock tuning help needed...

I have an '06 CRF450R that I run around the desert on. Over the last couple years of riding the bike everywhere from Baja to the tight woods I've experimented with lots of different clicker settings to optimize the ride. Well, I've managed to develop a very dangerous shock set up where hitting a stray rock with the rear generates a violent kick and swap. I'll occasionally get a kick running the whoops but it is deadly on stray rocks hit at speed. Give me your thoughts... Sag and springs are correct. Thanks.

Has your suspension been service over the last few years? If not, start there and then go back to stock clicker settings and try to tune again from there.

Yeah, I had it serviced a couple months ago... I'm going to go back to the base settings and start over at some point but for the short term I'm hoping someone has some insight into the kick. I'm thinking maybe my high speed compression is set to too soft?

the rebound stack on the crf is not good, that maybe causing some of your problems, where is the rebound adjuster set to? they dont like it more in than 6.

I'll check the rebound setting tonight. So you think it could be caused by too much rebound damping allowing the shock to pack? It usually only takes one hit to get the kick rather than successive bumps where you would usually see packing...

no, its more that when you run the rebound clicker at about 4-6 the compression circuit is cut off and it makes a kick.