Sign in to follow this  

06 125 float height

What's the best way to set the float height on an 06 125 without buying / making the special tool? My friend just bought one and when he just barely tips it a couple degrees past vertical, it starts dumping fuel from the overflows.

We suspect the float level is off, but maybe the 125 carbs are more sensitive to lean angle?? Probably not the case.

Anyway, the dealer wants $70 for the tool, I told him to make one, but also said I'd ask you guys to see if there was a backyard way to check without buying / making a tool

Anyone have an alternate way to check?

Thanks

-Kurt

Are you referring to a tool to measure it? If your talking about a way to actually set it you can just bend the tab by hand. Works on all 4 of my bikes.

He's Looking for a way to know that it's set correctly. Manual wants you to use a tool that sets the fuel level 9.5 - 11mm (or something like that) above the bowl gasket. So, I'm looking to see if there is a way to check to see if it's correct without the tool.

I've always seen it where you flipped them upside down and measured the float distance to the sealing surface. Wondering if there is a number for the Mikunis rather than using the tool.

Thanks

Edited by Creeper9
Not enough detail in original response.

I set the float so that the seam on the side of the float is level with the sealing surface. You want to tilt the carb slowly until the float just closes the needle and adjust it at that point.

On the 125 carb the float seam is below the float bowl mounting surface.

On the SUDCO micro fiche it say's float bowl 6-7mm I think this is from the mounting surface to the top of the float. I need to check this out on mine too.

Hey, thanks! I'll check out their site.:banana:

Do you notice that it's sensitive to lean angle (dumps fuel really easy), or are you chasing something else on yours?

If you know how to set float by taking off float bowl and measuring float height from matting surface(the way most carbs are) the measurement is 8.7mm. got this measurement from a 2003 rm125 manual that bike also has a tmx38mm.

float%20height%20.JPG

Hey, thanks! I'll check out their site.:banana:

Do you notice that it's sensitive to lean angle (dumps fuel really easy), or are you chasing something else on yours?

Yes mine will piss out fuel when leaned slightly, I think the previous owner

messsed with it since the little spring plunger was stuck.