Sign in to follow this  

Daytime running/safety lights

Need to know what makes the daytime running/safety lights go out on the GMC/Chevy trucks....For the longest time since I bought my 03 Chevy I've noticed lots of guys who have lost 1 of their lights...why is this so common?

I just noticed the other day when I went outside to unlock my truck BOTH of mine were out, not just one! What the hell????? Don't know if it's a fuse or bulb, haven't checked yet...Is there a longer lasting bulb (if that's the prob) on the market?

I just noticed the other day when I went outside to unlock my truck BOTH of mine were out, not just one! What the hell????? Don't know if it's a fuse or bulb, haven't checked yet...Is there a longer lasting bulb (if that's the prob) on the market?

was your emergency brake on?

I believe it was something to do with the cheap bulbs they used. I am pretty sure that 05 and newer had different bulbs that made the daytime running lights last longer. I do know it was a big complaint about the 03-04 models when I bought my 05.

they went out on my moms 2005 2500 and i replaced it with a sylvania bulb and they have yet to go out again after a year

I got an 01 suburban and have replaced one of the drl bulbs, both bulb holders looked burnt and I don't know why and they still work,but I do see a lot of Chevys with drl bulbs out. I do know this, they can be temporarily shut off by pushing the dome override button a few times but they come back on after you restart, key off/key on.

Check the fuse, if that's good check the bulb (a test light works well here) I wouldn't be surprised if they are both bad tho.

My 98 Chevrolet K1500 had daytime running lights. It used the existing headlamps. I studied the wiring diagram, and decided if one of the pins was bent over on the relay, I'd have full control of the headlamps. No more DRL's for me.

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech

toyota_mdt_tech[/b];9270144]My 98 Chevrolet K1500 had daytime running lights. It sued the existing headlamps. I studied the wiring diagram, and decided if one of the pins was bent over on the relay, I'd have full control of the headlamps. No more DRL's for me.

I have to say, it's refreshing to see that a "Toyota" mechanic drives a Chevy...usually it's the other way around....:banana:

I have to say, it's refreshing to see that a "Toyota" mechanic drives a Chevy...usually it's the other way around....:banana:

You know Chevy makes a good truck, but you can't stop a Toyota.

Sorry I know it's a bad joke, it was just too tempting.

You know Chevy makes a good truck, but you can't stop a Toyota.

Sorry I know it's a bad joke, it was just too tempting.

I love my Chevy! I had an 88 GMC C3500 dually too, sold it. Still have 3 Toyotas. My other truck is a Tacoma, 4WD, TRD. :banana:

I grew up on Chevrolets. In high school, you'd loved my ride. A 73 SS Nova that I put in a +.030 454. All the good parts in the engine. What a tire burner!

The lights run really hot, resulting in bulb burnout. (Too small of a housing for the bulb wattage). The new body style trucks do not have this problem. Ditto on the parking brake disable.

When the park brake is on, it disables the DRL's.

Didn't know that...What's the reason for that? I thought the reason for he DRL to stay on (when unlocking the doors) at night so you can see when getting to/in your vehicle...if you set the brake that cancels out that idea! But like I said I seldom if never use it...(only as required)!

Didn't know that...What's the reason for that? I thought the reason for he DRL to stay on (when unlocking the doors) at night so you can see when getting to/in your vehicle...if you set the brake that cancels out that idea! But like I said I seldom if never use it...(only as required)!

Hmm...I set my parking brake every time I park my car. It's also great for having fun when it snows. :lol:

What is required for you to use your parking brake? :banana:

GO and get 2 14 VOLT BULBS for your drl s that is what I use everyday the current is higher so they don't use all the bulb up. check to see if your sensor is covered up in the center of your dash,

Hmm...I set my parking brake every time I park my car. It's also great for having fun when it snows. :lol:

What is required for you to use your parking brake? :banana:

Parking on hills, placing the ball under the hitch...sometimes the truck will roll when out in park...I still want to know what it has to do with the DRL coming on when I unlock my doors...

i heard the bulbs were burning out because of a poor ground. once one bulb burned out the current draw dropped and the ground could sustain it without over heating. maybe give it a better ground and see what happens. heat is a sure sign of poor grounding, i dont think a little bulb like that is going to produce enough heat to melt the socket.