ktm 250 exc 2 stroke 300 2stroke 450 350

hi just after some advice will be looking to change my bike soon as the 2011's come out loads of factors affecting my decision of bikes and so on. Also don't know if iam going to do enduros or cross country/motocross. I have a 250 exc 2009 at the moment with tons of stuff done to it it's awesome to ride just want to know if the 300 is better again or what the differences are. And just a bit of info off any1 that owns a 450f (from new) on what the maintenance costs issues or what you feel about them (within a year of ownership) because if i do choose to go motocross and cross country i'd be having a 450 or 350f. And if anybody in the uk has put a new motocrosser on the road how hard is it? many thanks mark

i ride a 06rm250 but i have ridden both 09 250exc and 09 300exc on numerous occassions

the 300 is easier to ride and more powerful up top though the nature of the powerband on the 300 is to ride it a gear higher than the 250 and torque along

i would buy the 300

I own and ride a 08 300 xc and it has loads of power and sometimes the power band will get it a little "fun" nothing to bad.... but you can buy a map switch that changes the curve of the pwrband to more gradual... and it does make a difference.....I would get the 300 just because the extra power is there if you need it and it can be controlled.

I have a 300 and have ridden a few 250s and 450s.

The 250s have more rpm than the 300. The 300 has more bottom end torque and a less pronounced powerband jump (on the Gnarly pipe anyway). The 250 relies on RPM to get its work done, the 300 is less sensitive about gear selection. Throttle input gives instant output in the 300 at low rpm, you had better be hanging on. Not so much on the 250. At peak rpm, both deliver pretty much the same goods but again, the 250 has a few more rpm available.

The 450s deliver broad torque over the entire RPM range in an almost linear fashion with no real sudden power band boost. Where they really excel is traction. They hook up where the 300 would spin, otherwise the 2 motors are very comparable. The downside to the 450s is the extra weight carried high. It may only be an extra 25 lbs but it is high on the bike and is very noticeable. A 2 stroke feels so tight and light compared to the 4 stroke, but the instant traction is often worth the weight on a track. For enduro work, a light bike is a real asset.

Cost of rebuild is a considerable factor. Modern 2 strokes are pretty tough and cheap to overhaul. Not so much a modern MX 4 stroke. You are looking at $1000 for a major 2 stroke overhaul vs $3000 for a 4 stroke for crank and plating (and valves and cam).

Also, the modern MX 4 stroke uses more oil than a 2 stroke surprisingly.

Check it out...

I have an 09 250xcw and have ridden two 09 300xcws and one 07 300xcw so I have a good idea of what they can do. I think sbest has it pegged. I'd pass on a modern 4 stroke because of the weight, maintenance, and possible repair bills. My 250 has 13/52 gearing with an sx head. Right off idle the 300 will pull a bit better (think lugging down to almost stalling and then accelerating again). Once you open the throttle a bit and get into the low end the 300 has a slight advantage. The mid range is very close as the 250 with the sx head pulls hard and will definitely keep your attention. The top end also feels about the same with the 250 feeling noticeably smoother with less vibration.

Whether or not it's worth switching to a 300 is up to how you ride. It would be easy enough to change your motor into a 300.

I think about the 250 vs 300 thing alot. The way I have my motor setup I can lug the snot out of it, touch the clutch and she ripps. It is impossible for me to describe how low rpm it will go. I suppose the same could be attained with a 300, but I love my bike so much that I almost dont wanna ride anything eles for fear of falling in love with another.... again. No help from me.