Sign in to follow this  

mud tire, which type and brand?

Okay, I have been using Maxxis SI tires for about a year. I live in an area that is sand, wet loom, swamp, some red clay. we average 50" of rain a year, we do have a dry month, that would be Dec & Jan. most of the time the ground is always wet or sandy. I need advice on a new rear tire for a KLX250, I am leaning toward a Maxxis SM, but could just as easily buy a Dunlop or Metz. I would like to hear first hand experience from anybody who lives or rides in RED CLAY, SAND, SWAMP, BOG, MARSH, WETLANDS, or a PINE FORESTED AREA of the country. we don not have rocks or mountains in the LOW country of South Carolina, just wetness.

see link (30 seconds) for the type of soil I normally encounter

Try the SM. That's what I put on the '03 that my son races in the LACC Hare Scrambles.

Try the SM. That's what I put on the '03 that my son races in the LACC Hare Scrambles.

I think I will give the SM a try. I have had the SI for a while so I know I always have trouble in the mud (Swamps) around here and Shane Watts pretty much confimed it for me

G’day Steve,

In terms of ultimate performance it is best to use the SM in sand and muddy conditions, where as you would use the SI in loamy through to semi hard pack conditions.

The edge on the SM will wear off slightly faster than the SI.

Your regional conditions sound appropriate for use of the SM, however the SI may perform nearly as well in those condition yet have more durability.

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

-- Shane Watts

Wattsy World, LLC.

I tried the new Dunlop MX31 last fall and liked it. The tire worked good for me in the sloppy mud we get here in the fall/spring time. I would def. buy it again.

Our mud is very similar to what was in the video.

I will not argue with Shane but he rides a two stroke and has a lot more wheel spin than me. I ride a 400 XC-W that likes to hook up. I also do not ride nearly as aggressive as he does.

The best tire for me in the mud is the Michelin S12XC (the S12 does melt quickly, the XC version wears much better).

I have not tried the Maxxis yet so I cannot compare. Good luck!

I'm gonna go against the grain here with a totally old school tire, the Trelleborg Ten-Master. I have one that I keep exclusively for mud races. It's also great in sand. Traction in corners is excellent.

The only complaint I'd have is that it's not as stable as other tires at very high speeds.

Our mud is very similar to what was in the video.

I will not argue with Shane but he rides a two stroke and has a lot more wheel spin than me. I ride a 400 XC-W that likes to hook up. I also do not ride nearly as aggressive as he does.

The best tire for me in the mud is the Michelin S12XC (the S12 does melt quickly, the XC version wears much better).

I have not tried the Maxxis yet so I cannot compare. Good luck!

He rides a 2 stroke: good point; 2 strokes are harder to hook up in the mud. I had a 1988 CR500 once and it was very hard to hook in anything damper than a sponge.

As for the mud. having been raised on the outskirts of the Burgh, I would says it's close. Yes, I concur during the spring snow melt however you always have shale to bit into. the best we have (that acts like rocks) is 100Million year old sharks teeth.

I think I will give the SM a try. I have had the SI for a while so I know I always have trouble in the mud (Swamps) around here and Shane Watts pretty much confimed it for me

G’day Steve,

In terms of ultimate performance it is best to use the SM in sand and muddy conditions, where as you would use the SI in loamy through to semi hard pack conditions.

The edge on the SM will wear off slightly faster than the SI.

Your regional conditions sound appropriate for use of the SM, however the SI may perform nearly as well in those condition yet have more durability.

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

-- Shane Watts

Wattsy World, LLC.

I have another wheel with an SI mounted up. Haven't tried it yet. Will swap wheels this summer after it dries out. Have tried the SM and my son was happy with it. He ran a Hare Scramble weekend before last that was ~ 1 mile of MX track and ~ 4.5 miles of Louisiana mud per lap. Running an SI on the front, BTW. See black bike in my garage...