Sign in to follow this  

How long before you entered a race?

Hi everyone,

I got into this dirt stuff a lot later than most (age 28). It's almost been a year, and I'm thinking about entering a few races.

If you got into the game as an adult, how long was it before you entered your first race?

Thanks

It was about that long for me.

I started on bikes right before I turned 30, and entered my first race the following year. Last year I did four races.

This year I'm doing as many as time allows.

Well..I raced as a kid until I was 16 but essentailly started over as a newbie at the ripe old age of 39. Things were way different and the jumps were not the same as they were back then. I had a strong passion to race again but was clearly scared to death of the jumps.

One day at a local track (scheduled race) I saw a guy in the pits that was around 50 who signed up for the 35+ class. I was very interested in watching him race.

He didn't do any jumps! He just rolled everything and finished a little behind mid pack. I was fairly impressed with his attitude. I went to his truck and we had a great talk. The next weekend I signed up and raced my first race as an old guy. Needless to say I didn't do all that great but as time went on I got much better. Eventually at the same track I won two consecutive 40+ series races.

My advice is to take it easy but don't worry how you finish. No one is going to hand you a dunts award for trying however they may if you don't. And, always remember to race against yourself and not the other guy. Try to best the last time you were on the track and it will all come together.

I started riding at 29 and entering MX races at 30. We had the boy on 50s and it sure got boring just watching him so I entered, too. It wasn't too bad I was quick enough in corners to keep up, but couldn't clear all the jumps. Did it for about a year and started getting better. Then I didn't hold my line over a jump and got landed on and broke my collarbone.

We tried desert racing in November and both like it better. Not saying our MX careers are over. I still like to practice on MX tracks. Aside from being a little intimidated by jumps, I really don't like waiting all day between motos.

Aside from all that, I'm still slow. But I don't care as long as I finish a 50 mile loop. It's still racing and competition even if it's (sort of) against yourself. The whole point is getting better and I don't get the challenge on family trail rides. The races get me out of the comfort zone a little bit so the riding ablitly improves.

it doesnt really matter your skill level for when you start racing thats why there are different classes. I started riding at 5 but my parents wouldnt let me race until i was 14. my best advice is to go and watch a race first so you see what it will be like and try not to be intimidated by faster riders or obstacles.....they were beginners once too

I ran mx in the 70's and stopped riding for about 25 yrs. Now back at it and it is more fun now then before.

Hi everyone,

I got into this dirt stuff a lot later than most (age 28). It's almost been a year, and I'm thinking about entering a few races.

If you got into the game as an adult, how long was it before you entered your first race?

Thanks

never really rode bikes until about july of last year bought a old bike and raced it last october....what a rush i was hooked instantly....so started to ride at age 27 and only waited 5 months to start racing and i can not wait until this year....races start this weekend....oh yeah i know the feeling of being intimidated about going over jumps so i race harescrambles....lots of fun in the woods....

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm going watch a friend race his first time this weekend, and I think I'm getting the itch to compete.

even better - find a club and volunteer to help put on a race. Work one of the checks and you'll get to see a lot more than you'll ever see from the pits. Enduro, CC, it doesn't really matter.

I'm very competitive. My problem has always been that I'm too good/too competitive for casual sports, but not good enough play on competitive teams! I'm hoping that I can compete in harescrambles/enduro, even if it's in C class.

To answer your question, I started riding bicycles when I was about 9, street bikes at 19, and dirt last fall. I plan on entering a harescramble in two weeks on my 92 klr 250! Will I win? Hell no! But it should be a lot of fun. I just hope I have the thing put back together by then...

i got my first bike when i was 19 and its was an '05 yz250f and i had only ever driven a dirtbike twice before that, one was an 82 honda 250 and the other was a 91 yamaha 125, i had my bike for 2 weeks before i entered my first race, i didnt do very good but it was fun

I started riding dirt when I was 29. The second summer of riding a did a few races.

Someone has to finish last....that was me a few times ha! :banana:

bought my bike in april, raced first weekend of may lol. it was definitely a steep learning curve but i put in a lot of time on the practice track and now im not that bad. It's certainly not like the younger guys who have been racing since they were old enough to ride. I had an xr 80, cr 80, trx 400, so i was used to being on bikes, just never racing. You need to look at it more like a lesson than just a riding session, try and learn a new skill each time, have buddies watch you and give you pointers.