Sign in to follow this  

need a stealthy pig

here's the scoop- i have an '04 XRR- it's uncorked but otherwise stock. it's undergoing a S-L-O-W conversion to an SM setup. i'm going to ship the motor off and have her punched out to a 680 torque monster- the engine is going to be built from the bottom up with durability in mind, not just to be fast. i don't know shit about engine building

my question- i WANT to have this thing run as quiet as possible- close to off the showroom quiet. where/when i ride dictates having a very quiet bike- otherwise my riding time will be greatly reduced. the best i heard so far is an FMF PowerCore pipe/header setup. i had that setup on my XR650L, and while it was not obnoxious, it was still substantial.

i've heard elsewhere that a big fat stock pipe off a streetbike can be fitted and the bike will be whisper quiet but not choke the engine down- i asked here at TT and other places with no reply. i understand that a quiet pipe might not be as powerful as an open race system, but i'm hoping there can be an acceptable compromise. i've even seen a 'second' silencer added to the existing one. anyone have any thoughts/ideas/insight?

one other thing- why is it KTM EXC's, CRF450X's, WR450's, etc come with quiet pipes and even stock they haul ass- in some cases a perf pipe fitted only gives a marginal increase in power which tells me the stock pipe is pretty darn good.

please don't flame me for this, i just want to ride hard late at night and ride trails with no hassles from neighbors/LE:ride:

thnx in advance:thumbsup:

I've seen people add a 90 degree elbow to the end of the silencer that points straight down. It seems that it would reduce the distance the sound travels.

I think your best bet would be to add an additional silencer - possibly make it removable. I highly doubt you would be able to detect a difference in power as long as the flow was not restrictive.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

akarob- thnx for the reply! i think that will be my best bet- just add a second removable silencer. i've seen a setup like that before, the downside is if you're offroading, it could get ripped off in a spill. with that said, i mostly want this setup for the street, so that could be a solution.

does anyone have any idea IF a large silencer off a streetbike would work? as i said i don'r know jack about the dynamics of an exhaust system (backpressure etc...) i seen/read somewhere where a guy put a '02/'03 Yamaha R1 on his BRP and said it worked great, but who knows what that means???

The key to quieting a thumper is muffler volume, so a large stock slip-on from a street bike is a good bet to work well.

Dave

I have to say that 650R mufflers look remarkably like CRF 250/450X mufflers. I use either on all my 600's and they are very quiet. The 250X is quieter than a stock XL600 Muffler and believe me thats saying something. Even the 450X is quieter than a standard XR600 Muffler and almost on a par with the 250X on the XL600..Not quite sure why the 650R Muffler would be any louder than either of them..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Exhaust/auction-275822422.htm

Thats a 250X Muffler..Still for sale and still cheap.