Sign in to follow this  

HUGE bead

i am trying to take my Dunlop tire off my xr 100. their is only one problem, the bead on the thing is frickin huge. i have tire spoons and everything its just the bead is huge and wont come over the edge of the rim. i think it is partly because the tire is kinda old and dry rotted. anything to help soften it up or get it over the rim?:banana:

I cut the old tires of with a pnuematic cut off wheel or electric grinder. use the spoon to get the bead up to near the rim and cut the bead with the cut off wheel. you can cut both sides and the tire comes off with no bashed knuckles or blood spent.

1: warm it in the sun for a couple of hours always helps.

2: be sure you are getting the bead pushed down into the center on the far side. I like to stand on the tire to push the bead in while spooning the opposite side off.

If it being that much of a pain, just cut it off. Although, I've never had to get to that point personally. I just end up pinching when I put them on. I hate tires. I say cut it just to teach it a lesson. :lol: You'll feel much better afterwards. :banana:

Just chop it off with a hacksaw (to cut through the steel cords in the bead). You can use an air powered cut off tool, but you may cut the rim. Good luck. :banana:

Edited by hondamaniac21