Sign in to follow this  

Some advice on suspension please

I have a 2000 DRZS with 4500 miles on the clock. I find the front suspension has far to much excess travel, the on/off the throttle instigates huge fork travel let alone firm braking. I have wound the preload into 0 and turned the compression screw fully in. As a result the front is more firm and compliant, it feels better on the road. I have not been able to assess where the rear preload spring is on the rear shock but again I have wound in the preload screw fully in and it feels firmer with less sag, again judged on the road. I have no idea how these adjustments will translate on dirt.

For info I am running knobblies AC10's on lowish pressures.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what I need to be doing to my bike ie do I need new fork springs, fork oil change etc, its probably never been done.... I weigh 165lbs for info. I'd be grateful of any input.

I'm no expert I did mine at the weeknd you can get at the top shock rings witout taking any of the backend out .

The screw you wound in wasn't the preload screw, that's the compression damping, the front have no preload adjustment.

Some if the earlier models could have had this type of fork which is different from the later models and is a preload adjustment type. They have no damper rod screwed into the top cap. Just the small adjustment on the top cap 0-5 for a soft to hard setting.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/41/Year/2000/ModelID/6259/Model/DR-Z400S/GroupID/255699/Group/FRONT_FORK_DAMPER_MODEL_Y_K1

You need to change the fork oil, the crap fluid that came stock is terrible! Drain the forks overnight and flush with some clean fluid. Springs out, forks compressed, fill to 130mm(165mm stock) from top with 7.5wt(stock 5wt) fluid. You will see a big improvement and try your clickers at 4 turns out and play with the preload, at 165 lbs the spring rate should be fine.

After you get the forks done then set your race sag on the rear shock, I also run the clicker 4 turns out- I weigh 178.

P.S. turn your clickers all the way out before taking forks apart.

Edited by KillerDwarf
added info