Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Pilot jet location? -YFZ 450

Is the pilot jet able to be reached without removing the carb on an 05 YFZ 450? Is it under the 17mm bolt on the bottom of the carb or is the main jet under there? Thank you for your help!

It's there, under the bolt - but a pain in the :banana: to get to. You need a short blade screwdriver (they do make a special one that will make it easier) to get in there without removing the carb. You can try loosening the clams and rotating the carb to get better access.

Yea I rotated the carb so it was easy to get remove the 17mm bolt. Is the main under there also or is the pilot only under there? The jet I removed looks like it could be the pilot but the jet size looks really large to be the pilot (Im sorry the Im used to looking at pilots and mains on a raptor 660 and they are very distinguishable.)

Not sure on an '05. '06 is 158 main and 42 pilot. If it's popping on decel, put a bigger pilot jet in. YFZs are notorious for being lean on the pilot circuit.

Well my bike also has a full yoshi pipe. I actually need to go down a pilot size because the idle "hangs" and it gets better as you turn in the a/f screw. Other than that it runs great though. No popping. Its just hard to start sometimes when its cold.