Sign in to follow this  

KLX450 won't start!

I have an 08klx450...PMB insert, airbox snorkel removed, AIS removed. Elevation - sealevel-2000ft temp-50-80f. After installing fuel screw, and changing main jet(145 to a 155 then to 160) it ran well but did not like to idle or start cold. I was not getting any response from the fuel screw and the bike would not stumble until i actually closed it. I figured i needed a smaller pilot jet so i went from a 45 to a 42. I took it out last week and although it took 10 kicks to start it(i figured no prob as carb had just been empty off the bike etc.) it ran really well and the fuel screw now affected the idle and i could get it to stumble at about 1 turn out. Throughout the day though...when i would stall it, i would hit hotstart and it would backfire really loud and it would not start! I would let off the hotstart and it would start without any backfire. Fastforward to today...went to start it and it WILL NOT START at all..choke..no choke..nothing. As well...if i try to use the hotstart(just for kicks cuz i'm stumped) it will BACKFIRE and nothing. What would cause this big backfire? What are some symptoms of a bike that won't start. Valve clearances are next to check but it seemed to come on just as i rejetted and changed fuelscrew. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also...would being too rich on the main cause a bit of a weak top end? I think it pulled harder with the 155 up top...seemed to have more get up and go...with the 160 the power seems to sign off up top.

sounds like it has a fouled plug currently.

That's where i am headed now...pull the plug and check it out. Would that mean a main jet too large? I think it ran better with the 155 than it does with the 160. Would having too large of a main jet cause the power to kinda "sign off" at the top? I felt like it pulled harder up top with the leaner main.