Sign in to follow this  

Cracked rear subframe.

As this doesn't seem to be a common problem on the DRZ I thought I'd post this picture of my cracked subframe I've just discovered. My bike has covered only 2400 road miles from new never been rear ended or any wheel left the ground, my bike is 3 years old next week and has really had a very easy life. Do you think I will get anywhere with Suzuki as it's out of the 2 year warranty period. Whatever it's not good.

P1000657.jpg

I don't know if you will get anywhere with suzuki, But you can always try. At best all i can say is ebay was a couple for under $100. I wouldn't ride it like that. Thanks alot now i have to go check mine out. hahaha

A competent welder can tig that up and make it as good as new. Probably won't cost much either.

How much do you weigh? Do you carry and luggage? Dont mean to be rude, but could weight have anything to do with it?

I'm fifteen stone mate not the lightest but far away from the heaviest I'd say, and no luggage either. I do know someone who knows someone who is a good tig welder it's just seeing it every time and knowing it's there.

I would have it welded while it is a crack...before it becomes a break. Right now the subframe is not tweaked or having alignment issues. The same may not be the case if you wait for the break to complete.

Interesting my bike shop said to take an hacksaw to cut through a clean break then weld it but I've no idea.

Let the welder do it. They make a trench and fill the bead with weld. That is the way to get the best penetration and strongest weld.