Sign in to follow this  

TTR125 ??'s

I am looking to get my daughter her second bike, she has grown quite a bit since I bought her the XR80r last winter (08') and its time to move on.. I found an 02' ttr125 for sale locally $700 well maintained just outgrown, its not the big wheel version but I feel it should suit her just fine.

She's 13, 5' 5" and 115lbs.. I don't expect her to grow too much more so Im thinking it should be a good fit, i can update the shock and go with bigger wheels later (?)

What does everyone think? Just for trail riding with me.

It's a great little bike. She will probably need something else fairly quickly as it's lack of power and not so great suspension starts holding her back.

At 5'5" shes going to start feeling a bit squished as she gets used to the bike.

I eventually felt squished at 5'3" on my DRZ125L, which is the big wheel version. We tried bar risers but, yeah, it was still too small.

Anyway, go for it. Just be prepared if she starts asking for more power.

Edited by DRZCatastrophe

I think DRZ hit it on the money. I'm 5'5" and I picked up a CRF150R Expert to go play around in the woods. I'm looking to get 3" handlebar risers before I ride it again. With those I think it will be just perfect for my purposes (play, play and maybe a harescramble or two) but until then the bars are so far down I have to squat until my quads cramp up or get a krick in my neck.

I've ridden the TT125 and the TTR125L, and while they were great little bikes the L felt even smaller than my 150RB. I don't think the little wheel version would ever give her a very comfortable ride. Maybe take her to a bike shop and let her sit on the different models, even if you end up waiting to find a nice used version of the one that she decides feels best? In the end it might be more economical to get a slightly bigger bike, than to throw a bunch more money at the TTR125 for wheels, suspension, possibly/probably motor upgrades and even then the bike will still be stuck with dual drum brakes right? (I could be wrong but I don't remember the little wheel version ever changing to disc up front.)

I've ridden a KX/RM100 in the woods before and it was a lot of fun. Also the size of the KTM105 felt like it would be really nice for scooting around in the trees (altho I haven't ridden one). In fact I was really leaning towards one of those two bikes vs the 150R and in the end it was mainly the fact that I wanted another 4 stroke that decided it for me.

At $700 I don't think he's going to be squandering any money.

I think it might be a good stepping stone to something bigger though...just don't expect it to be THE BIKE she sticks with forever. Plus, it can be your mess around bike or extra bike to take other people along.

I can't tell you how many times Pete took off and abused my poor little DRZ.

i currently own a ttr 125 its a good starter bike and fun to mess around on but eventually she will want and upgrade. Because she has experiance on dirtbikes i wouldnt get the ttr but maybe somthing with a little more power.

Thanks for the replies..

Im going to go look at it in the morning, I might just wait for something bigger, but at least I'll take a look.

What are some recommendations for her size? I don't feel that I should put her on a 2 stroke, Im not sure she'll be comfortable with a the powerband, the more comfortable she is the more fun she'll have.

My younger daughter (9)is on a xr80,my older daughter(13)is on a ttr125L,and my wife is on a 150rb.With that said theres not much differance between the 80 and 125 even though the 125 has big wheels ,in fact i find the 80 more comfortable to ride.If she is aggressive and a good rider the 150rb is a great bike,but its hard to start even when jetted right.My wife was on a yz 85 before the 150rb she liked the easy starting of a 2 stroke but hated the 2 stroke hit.In my opinion you would be better off with a 150rb or a ktm 105,even though its a smoker it has a power valve and with a flywheel wieght added can be tamed down also lighter and starts easy.

It will probably be a great bike for your daughter(if she was a bat out of hell on wheels you'd be asking about something different:D). If she needs more power after awhile etc, then just move up(no big deal). It's a fun bike to keep around for newby or non riding friends etc to ride, I wish I kept mine for that! She's the perfect weight for the bike, which at this point is more of an issue than her height, yes she'll feel stunted if she rides standing up all the time/a lot. When I had mine I was the same height but 40 so pounds more, which is hard on the bike, you're slamming the suspension, everything works loose, the frame flexes, and it's AWFUL in the sand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS as a testament to the magician that works the wand thing, my BIL (5'7" 140#) would ride my old xr100 on the trail and keep right up with the big guys.:banana:

I wouldn't overlook the 85 two strokers. Our YZ 85, a beast on the track, can be effectively putted around on in the woods. The suspension alone would be worth it to me.

My 11 y/o did really well with it and she is a track girl. It makes a really good trail bike I know! I was shocked too!

Don't forget the old XR200. Don't limit your options... go for something that will fit her well. She'll be happier if she's comfortable too. If she's on a bike that is physically too small, she'll be cramped, uncomfortable, and won't want to ride. It's not easy finding the perfect balance of power/weight/size... but there are a lot of bikes out there, as well as a lot of mods available for the various bikes to make them fit better (lowering links, bar risers, tall seat foam, cut seat foam, lowered pegs, etc.).

But, IMO, the small wheel TTR125 is going to be too small right off the bat... but at $700 may be worth the look. From what I understand, you can't just slap big wheels on the small wheel TTR and be good to go... I think the swingarm is different. There may be other differences too. Check out the TTR forum for loads of good info.

One plus side... TTR's have loads of mods available. If she has any interest in the garage, and you are willing to spend the $, you can find some great aftermarket stuff for the bike. A mod a lot of folks do is the YZ USD forks. You can get pipes, carbs, big bore kits, etc. The bike can grow with her abilities (within reason), she can learn about some mechanical stuff in the process, and you'll get to spend loads of quality time with her... well, at least until boys take over (unless those boys ride, then she'll really be bugging you :banana: ).

by far most of the teen girls her age I see out on the trails here in Oregon are on ttr125's and they really like them because they aren't intimidating(yes I ask when I get a chance). The ones who decide they like to ride move on to something else.

Actually the one girl I've seen on a bigger bike(yz125) is a much more advanced rider, totally into it.

I looked at the ttr, I am going to take her on wed to see if she likes it and it fits, I like the fact that I can mod and adjust it for her if she feels its too small. I thought about an 80+cc 2 stroke, but I like the idea of a 4 stroke for chugging around on, I can make a 2 stroke work fine for woods/trails but it might be asking a lot of her.

I have seen a few ttr125's for sale.. I might off some of my bikes to fund something for her and keep the xr for my son in a year or so.