Sign in to follow this  

What are the top bikes on the market?

2 or 4 stroke?

mx or enduro or trail ?

lights or the big class?

You gotta be a little more specific, I've been shopping for a sherco trials bike to cross train in the back yard with some logs, but I'm not having any luck

-Honda

-Kawasaki

-Yamaha

-Suzuki

-KTM

These brands will be your biggest or most popular.

Blue ones

Green ones

Orange ones

Red ones

Yellow ones

Not necessarily in that order...that's alphabetical. Pick one, take care of it.

KTMS are the nicest IMO. no swingarm linkage, hydraulic clutch, brembo brakes with oversized front rotor, white power suspension, and theyre not cheap jap made bikes! therea a reason they are the most expensive brand new...

I also like honda, they have the single cam, and two oil apartments. its not sharing the engine and clutch oil which im not too fond of.

youre going to get a different answer from every person, most of the time theyre going to say the bike they currently ride is the best..

pick your fav color and go ride.

Wow, thanks for the smart-alec replies.:banana: I was trying to be a little bit serious here.:lol: I didn't exactly specify because it doesn't really matter. Dirt bikes, as in motocross bikes, trail bikes, enduro bikes...

Also, this isn't a "what bike should I buy?" thread. I wanted to get an idea what people think because I am wanting to write a paper or do some audio on this possibly. An example is the KTM 300EXC because it's an all-around great bike, or the YZ250F because it's a perfect bike to start out on for motocross, etc....

Wow, thanks for the smart-alec replies.:banana: I was trying to be a little bit serious here.:lol: I didn't exactly specify because it doesn't really matter. Dirt bikes, as in motocross bikes, trail bikes, enduro bikes...

seriously, there is no best answer.

like I said, every person is going to give you a different answer, its the same as the oil threads, no one is right and everyone is wrong it seems.

at the end youll have 25 votes for each bike and back at square one.

like I said, KTM is probably the best, but im sure someone else is going to disagree and say honda, then someone will disagree and say kawi, then someone else will say yamahas because of the 10 450s new design and the fact that JS rides one and wins all his races, then someone will disagree and say gasgas, it never ends. there is no right answer to "which bike is the best" they all have their good and their bads.

if you truly wanna know, buy a MX magazine and look at their shootouts... TWMX says the kawi is the 450 of the year, motocross action says yamaha is the 450 of the year, etc...

there have been hundreds of these threads, they all end up the same: 1 of every vote and it ends up dying with the OP back at square one and buying whichever bike looks the coolest or has the best price.

For MX, Honda or Kawasaki. Performance and handling wise, they are very similar. The Kawi having slightly more power stock, while the Honda's build quality a bit better.

For MX, Honda or Kawasaki. Performance and handling wise, they are very similar. The Kawi having slightly more power stock, while the Honda's build quality a bit better.

but more power doesnt mean its a faster bike.. lap time that is. its a never ending debate.

Trail 2 smoke - ktm300

Trail 4 stroke - CRF450x

MX 2 smoke - YZ250

MX 4 stroke - crf, yzf or ktm

only my opinion...

For my type of riding it would come down to the 10 KX450f or the 10 KTM 450SX. I ride mostly desert trails but also throw in quite a bit of Rocky Mountain singletrack. I love the power of the MX bikes so would never buy the off road version. I like the KTM better but the FI on the Kawi really has its plusses.

CoKTM

I would have to say the best bikes are the 125 2 stroke mx bikes:

yz 125

ktm 125/144 sx

These are the only two currently produced and the yamaha has won the shootouts of most mx mags more than any other brand.

The reason they are the best (125's) is because they are fast enough to win races, light enough for most people to handle, help develop mx skills that no other bike can, and make you work to get better. When it all comes together on a 125, you will be clearing every obstacle on the track, sneaking passed other riders in the corners, and skimming all the whoops while your bike's exhaust is screaming that amazing 2-stroke sound. The 125 is like a cross between a mazda miata and a 3.2 liter Porsche 911 Carrera of the 1984-1989 era. It's the pinnacle of a "rider's bike"....not the most powerful or luxurious, but definetely the best experience one can have on a dirtbike.

the best bike is the one that fits you best. Don't forget the 'exotics' too. some are better then KTM... though if you want to be like everyone else stick to the big 5... all the jap bikes are the same anyway, more or less.