Sign in to follow this  

My brakes all of a sudden went ? How come ?

I have a 2005 RMZ450.

I use the rear brake regularly and pretty harshly.

All of a sudden, the rear brakes went. They don't work and there is no pressure. Yet everything is still in tact.

What exactly is wrong with it and what parts do I need to fix it ?

Thanks !

if you haven't changed your brake fluid i would start there it will look like floaties are in the fluid and be very cloudy if it is bad, or if that doesn't cure after bleeding new fluid try the master cylinder rebuild kit if that doesn't cure chances are it is a bad caliper. i listed in this order as it is the least expensive to most expensive good luck.

I would try a fluid change to. Back when I first started riding I had the same issue once, but it would do it periodically. I changed the fluid, bled them, and everything was good after that.

Definitely flush the brake system of all old fluid. Flushing should be done at least every year. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it readily absorbs moisture. This moisture generally comes from the air. Brake fluid is designed this way to protect the braking system from moisture related damage. Brake fluid can only absorb so much, before it becomes degraded and it's boiling point drops severely.

I suspect that the brake fluid boiled and has now created a vapor lock (air bubble) in the system. Bleeding will temporarily rectify the situation but as soon as it boils it will likely happen again until the root cause is remedied. So flush the rear brake fluid and do the front as well.

Definitely flush the brake system of all old fluid. Flushing should be done at least every year. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it readily absorbs moisture. This moisture generally comes from the air. Brake fluid is designed this way to protect the braking system from moisture related damage. Brake fluid can only absorb so much, before it becomes degraded and it's boiling point drops severely.

I suspect that the brake fluid boiled and has now created a vapor lock (air bubble) in the system. Bleeding will temporarily rectify the situation but as soon as it boils it will likely happen again until the root cause is remedied. So flush the rear brake fluid and do the front as well.

Thanks guys,

Ill flush the rear brake fluid, put in all new fluid and see how it goes.

Would a local Suzuki dealer likely have a master cylinder rebuild kit? Or is it something to get online ?

check your brake pads. a friend of mine had the same happen to him last winter. and it showed the pads was so worn that the pistons&seals came out of the caliper, and because of that all the brake fluid came outthat way.

I agree with the previous posters;

-Bleed rear brakes (most use DOT4 or 5)

-Rear pads (Check for glazing)

-Bent rotor (out of true will cause these symptoms too)

Let us know how things turn out.

I have a 2009 RMZ 450 and the seal on the rear master cylinder just went out. It is the seal where the brake pedal plunger enters the master cylinder. It is underneath the rubber boot. I think my rubber boot slipped down and some sand got in causing it to ruin the seal. Ebay has some brakes for your bike for pretty cheap. Good luck.

I had the same thing on rear brakes on my zx-6. I changed the fluid, and bled the brakes from the caliper to the master cylinder. Now, I have rear brakes and they work better than before.

I had the same thing happen this winter, lost my rear brake suddenly. It ended up being the piston in the master cylinder. I think it was like a $30 part and they were back working like new.