Sign in to follow this  

Trials tire on 230

I'm starting to use-up my rear on my 230. and have been thinking about getting a trials tire. has anyone used this set-up??? looks like the trials tire is a little taller. I have had trials bikes for years so i kind of know how they work. just never rode a dirt bike with one. if so what psi have you run??

I have mostly used Michelin and some IRC trials tires. but i am thinking of using a Dunlop. I have heard many times from other trials riders that the dunlop has a little stiffer sidewall and harder rubber.

I own a 230 but haven't put a trials on it yet I ran this on a KTM 400. I'd run the same pressure on the 230 if I had one on there.

IRC tubeless with a tube of course.

6-8 psi woods - to stick like glue

9-10 psi desert - to avoid pinch flats

20 psi hwy - higher pressure keeps the tire from over heating, still squirmy

what advantages are there to running a trials tire ? just curious as i hear this mentioned quite often

what advantages are there to running a trials tire ? just curious as i hear this mentioned quite often

i just put one on my drz 400 . the advantages are endless. it bites harder than any knobbie could ever dream of, because the tire doesnt spin, it lasts a good 3 times longer than a knobbie. it wont seem like that would be true at first because of how soft the rubber is, but i assure you it does. there is one small disadvantage. because it bites so hard, it will tend to push the front out of line a bit. thats the only issue ive found with it. just keep it off the street and your good

I wonder why this isnt a much more popular setup if they are really that much better.

I use my 230 for strictly the roughest tightest dirtiest trails I can find lol. It would seem this type of tire could be very worthwhile for me. I wonder how the trials tires do in the mud compared to the much deeper lug traditional knobbies ?

I had run a trials tire for over 1000 miles. It is a popular set up. It's awesome. Everything mentioned so far here is true. Guys mount a trials tire and never go back to a knobbie.

It's all spelled out in the pages I listed:

My riding friends and I are using trials tires as follows:

Trail bikes

CRF230F

Front - DOT IRC TR1

Rear - Competition IRC TR11

CRF250X

Front - DOT IRC TR1

Rear - Competition IRC TR11

Dual Sport bikes

WR250R

Front - DOT IRC TR1

Rear - DOT Pirelli MT43

Husky TE310

Front - DOT IRC TR1

Rear - DOT Pirelli MT43

Husky TE610

Front - DOT IRC TR1

Rear - DOT Pirelli MT43

Some riders prefer the Competition Dunlop D803 rear instead of the Competition IRC TR11.

Some riders prefer the Competition IRC TR11 front instead of the DOT IRC TR1.

Some riders prefer a knobby front tire.

NOTE: If you buy the DOT IRC TR1 front tire, get size 3.00 - 21 (largest).

Stiffness of rear tire:

Michelin X11 competition - softest

IRC TR11 competition - somewhat soft to firm

Dunlop D803 competition - firm

Pirelli MT43 DOT - firmest, rated to 90 MPH street use

The competition tires can be ridden for short distances (5 miles) and low speed (25-35 MPH) on the street, but the MT43 is recommended for extended street use. Friends ride the MT43 at 50-60 MPH. These are my recommendations; many go outside these numbers. YMMV

Edited by ramz
Add stiffness info.

The trials tire is too big and too tall for best handling and it is a strain on the clutch. Cornering suffers with a trails tire too. Traction on hills,roots and rock is tremendous. At least when upright and not cornering. In mud it isn't very good.

Traction on hills,roots and rock is tremendous.
This is the definition of trail riding in central Colorado - hills, roots, and rocks, plus rain in May, July, and August. Yummy, trials tires eats 'em up! :banana:

RAMZ,

I just installed the tubliss.

How is that system working out?

Have you learned any tips or lessons from the experience riding with it?

Do you run slime in the tire?

Thanks.

Thanks Guys. Ramz I didn't realize that your reference was to info on your site, thanks for taking the time to spell it out on here.

I have never ridden Taylor park and want to set up my bike in hopes that I will make it up there this year. From what I've read the trails can be fairly tough and I need all of the advantages that I can get, like Trials tires and maybe a slipper clutch for those rocky sections.

You make me chuckle Ramz, yes indeed the snow will melt and it will be riding time soon.

Mt43 and Rekluse Pro in the garage waiting for installation, IRC TR1 on order. I can't wait to twist the throttle.:banana: