Sign in to follow this  

Front sprocket install question.... (A dumb one...)

First off, I feel like an idiot for having to ask this.... I have a pretty high mechanical background, and I did something I have never done before....

Took off the front 15 tooth sprocket, gonna throw on a 14 tooth, and I didn't look to see which way it came off. I'm blaming my midnight shift on this one.... I'm pretty sure the lip goes on the inside [Toward the motor] to keep the chain lined up, but I am not sure, so I am hoping I'm not the only one to ever question it....

So should the lip on the sprocket go towards the motor, or towards your leg?

Like this

DSCF0453.jpg

Not like this flat back

DSCF0455.jpg

I did the same thing. If you look at the top of the chain slider that is on the front of the swingarm you will notice a raised area that the center of the chain slides on. Put the spocket on the shaft and see if the teeth line up with the slider. If not flip it over.:banana:

Thanks! Yeah, I lined it up, and just tried it instead of thinking about it. It lines itself up. Threw it on, and it runs like a raped ape now! lol...

Thanks! Yeah, I lined it up, and just tried it instead of thinking about it. It lines itself up. Threw it on, and it runs like a raped ape now! lol...

Did you give that raped ape a splash of red loctite on the splines of the sprocket?