Sign in to follow this  

Gear for new dirt bike rider

Hi all,

After riding dual sport bikes for a while, I decided to get a real dirt bike and got a KTM EXC 530. I'm hoping to go riding this weekend at Carnegie OHV in the Bay area and hopefully do a Death Valley trip at the end of the month.

I've got a bunch of questions but the most pressing right now is, um, clothing. Yeah, not very manly but while some of my dual sport gear will work (gloves, helmet and boots) I think I need some other stuff. I want a neck brace and upper body armor, so I'm thinking about getting these two items:

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php?page_id=64&msg_id=154&id=3#154

and this:

http://www.knox-armour.co.uk/product.html?product=warriorbc9

What else should I get? With the Knox BC9, seems like I still need elbow armor; are there jerseys that include that? Also, some recommendations on riding pants would be great. Do they usually include built-in armor or do you get that separately? I don't want to go overboard but I want to be well protected.

Thanks!

Fergus

as far as the chest goes. that looks to be a fine product. personally i prefer the hard shell type of chest protector. i had a root trap my front wheel and stop the bike instantly once during a race and the slam w/my chest onto the bar clamps put me back to my hard protector with the quickness, plus they're cooler in the summer months.

some jerseys have elbow protection, i have some 661 elbow forearm hard shell pads that rock. nice neoprene sleeve keeps them from contributing to arm pump and keep them firmly in place

knee pads i'm using are some cheapo's from thor, about $15 i think, they proved their worth many times over.

pants frequently have removeable hip pads, and the rubber patches on the thighs and knees add abrasion resistance.

don't forget a kidney belt, for me they're indispensable.

have fun. welcome to the dirty side.

Go buy all the pads you can get your hands on. I hope this does'nt sound rude but, its nice to land on a pad instead of a body part.

The only stuff i wear is knee pads and a chest protector with my leatt and helmet boots gloves goggles etc... i try not to load up on gear because out here in az it gets hot and i get kinda annoyed...just my opinion but whatever you prefer is whats gonna work for you

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up with some Klim Dakar pants and jersey and some Forcefield armor (the Pro Pants and Extreme Harness Adventure). It worked out very well and the ride (yesterday at Hollister) was just amazing. Sore today but can't wait to go back.