Sign in to follow this  

whats the best 85

i am trying to figure out what the best 85 is.i put this in the kawasaki forum because i like kawasakis.mxa says the rm85 and yz85 are the best 85s the rm becausse it has a lot of low endmand the yz because it has a lot of top end. of corse i am considering the kx100 and 85 but i have read that the kx85 is the worst 85.and also that the kx100 isnt actualy as fast as the kx85 in that it is more of a tamed down mx bike.also im 5"11 180 pounds are they way way way to small it will just be a trail bike and a farm bike.

all are good bikes but I prefer the yamaha and kawi. You definitely need something bigger. I had a friend do this and he was very dissatisfied because of how small it was.

you're way to big for a mini. i'm 5 8 and one of my friends has an 07 kx 100 he just never sold when he got out of riding and it sits in his garage. everytime i sit on it my knees hit the bars. it is pretty fun to ride it but i couldnt imagine having it as my only bike. The YZ doesnt have a powervalve like the kx, so it might feel faster because the powerband hit will be a lot more abrupt. I personally had an 01 kx 85 back when i was riding 80's and i had alot of fun with it. at the time the ktm 85 had just come out and i rode one of them and they were sahweeet. have ridden the yz as well, just have never ridden the RM or the CR. this was almost five years ago though now so i'm sure things have changed.

One of the MX mags this month did a test of all the 85s and the Honda 150 and the Suzi and Kawi 85s did very well. At your size I would look for a 125 or even a KDX 200. The 125s will have have the same type of power band but more power everywhere and the suspension will handle your weight much better. But if your heart is set on a small bike I would at least look for a KX100.

Ive herd alot of tests say the KXs are the worst, I never really saw it. I think the KX 85 has the best power of all the 85s (never ridden a ktm).

You should be on a big bike, hell I know people that are 5'5" that ride big bikes.

the kx85 is the widest and heaviest of the 85's. love the feel of the yz, slim and lightweight, great suspension too. motor is a screamer up top! the honda is also great, very reliable, but its hard to ride considering all the power is up top. the suzuki is an awesome bike. the motor is phenomenal. it pulls hard everywhere, and works very well with mods (esp. the pwk28 carb) suspension in stock form is also good, nice and firm but not too firm. great chassy, turns wells and has great straight line stability with minimal head shake. the kx85 is my least favorite, even though i own an 03. the suspension in the rear is like a pogo stick, it bounds and rebounds too quick, and the suspension up front is too soft. in stock form it oversteers often in burms and turns. motor does its best work down low and through the mid. but i really like it because its easy to ride and very reliable. the yz85 or rm85 are the best choices, period. but if i were you i would get something like a ttr125LE or a ttr230. any 85 you pick will need clutch, top, and bottom end rebuilds before you know it.

the kx85 is the widest and heaviest of the 85's. love the feel of the yz, slim and lightweight, great suspension too. motor is a screamer up top! the honda is also great, very reliable, but its hard to ride considering all the power is up top. the suzuki is an awesome bike. the motor is phenomenal. it pulls hard everywhere, and works very well with mods (esp. the pwk28 carb) suspension in stock form is also good, nice and firm but not too firm. great chassy, turns wells and has great straight line stability with minimal head shake. the kx85 is my least favorite, even though i own an 03. the suspension in the rear is like a pogo stick, it bounds and rebounds too quick, and the suspension up front is too soft. in stock form it oversteers often in burms and turns. motor does its best work down low and through the mid. but i really like it because its easy to ride and very reliable. the yz85 or rm85 are the best choices, period. but if i were you i would get something like a ttr125LE or a ttr230. any 85 you pick will need clutch, top, and bottom end rebuilds before you know it.

i rode an 03 rm85 today it was the small wheel version with fmf fatty and fmf pc2.

This is from the same question on another forum. This was my reply:

It all depends on the rider. We ride KX. My son has ridden every mini out there. He likes his KX because he's used to it and it's also a 100 (now 112). All his friends have different makes. He says the RM has the best "fingertip" feel with great rider response. Best overall feel and handling was the KX, not just his 100, other kids 85's as well. One of his best friends has a KTM. He says that it had the overall best suspension and good power. He adds that the YZ and CR were the worst. No power till the powerband was reamed out and the suspension was terrible.

He rode a kids Eric Gorr RM112 with Pro Action suspension. He said it was like a dream come true.

the yz85 is definatly the fastes of them all, it has the better suspension i think and i love how light and agile it feels