Sign in to follow this  

Dishonest Mechanic?

I took my 96 XR 400 to a reccomended mechanic after tuning it up, going thru carb, valve adjustments, etc with no luck in getting it to fire. He did a compression test on it and found that the exhaust valves were the problem. He also said that since he was in there he would inspect the head, piston, rings, etc. After inspection he said that the head looked good and he wanted to re hohn the head and install new rings (since we were in there already) and a new timing chain as well. I receivesd a phone call today from him saying that he found the main crankshaft nut was stripped out and that I needed a new crankshaft. Little did he know that I had removed the right case cover an took photos of that area just before I took it to him. See photo. I took the picture because I was replacing the kickstart return spring that was weak and the photos were going to make sure i reinstalled things correctly.XR400RFeb2010#5446793651216914354 He still insists that the threads were stripped after confronting him. I think he stripped them out and wants me to eat it! What do you guys think?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lu302dano/XR400RFeb2010#5446793651216914354

Edited by lu302dan
Bad link to photo

That doesn't looked stripped to me... but what do I know? I figure if it was stripped it would have given you some serious problems....

I took my 96 XR 400 to a reccomended mechanic after tuning it up, going thru carb, valve adjustments, etc with no luck in getting it to fire. He did a compression test on it and found that the exhaust valves were the problem. He also said that since he was in there he would inspect the head, piston, rings, etc. After inspection he said that the head looked good and he wanted to re hohn the head and install new rings (since we were in there already) and a new timing chain as well. I receivesd a phone call today from him saying that he found the main crankshaft nut was stripped out and that I needed a new crankshaft. Little did he know that I had removed the right case cover an took photos of that area just before I took it to him. See photo. I took the picture because I was replacing the kickstart return spring that was weak and the photos were going to make sure i reinstalled things correctly.XR400RFeb2010#5446793651216914354 He still insists that the threads were stripped after confronting him. I think he stripped them out and wants me to eat it! What do you guys think?

I think so too!!! he was prob trying to remove it and stripped it.

This guy is totally busted.

Print the pictures out and take them into him. Did you authorize him to do anything to the crankshaft ? Good mechanics dont start tearing things apart with out first talking to the owner and getting the okay.

Sounds like someone is trying to come up with work. And i bet he said the he would give you a great deal since he was all ready there. Tell him not to do anything and go get the bike because he shouldnt have been doing any unapproved work. To me thats a huge red flag, because i dont ever do any work untill the customer approves the work and signs for it or a manager says to do the work. Get him away from the bike before he screws something else up.

What was he doing taking the nut off anyways?

he was going to replace the timing chain

Me neither... how about a better picture?

thats the best one i have. there is a zoom feature in the upper right corner of the viewer. i am looking for proof without a doubt that he stripped the threads on the crankshaft before i call him on it. i will probably :banana: eat it and move on i know that this hardened steel and an air gun was probably the culprit. if the nut had stripped out while the bike was running i think that the gears would have misaligned and big problems would have occured immediately...

...... i am looking for proof without a doubt that he stripped the threads on the crankshaft before i call him on it. i will probably :banana: eat it and move on ..........

If you do move on... be sure to let him know (in a civil manner) that you suspected him and that your not just 'moving on' because of other issues or reasons. Let him know, and maybe the next guy won't have a similar issue. Because if he was being a shady mechanic, knowing he got caught will help in the future. If he wasn't being shady... well, then... he'll just be pissed at you. :lol: And hopefully not the next customer.

Are you the original owner of this bike? If not, any chance some PO might have done this?

I agree with the others tho. If a mechanic can't remove a nut without stripping the threads, better to cut your losses with him now.

There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here that might be willing to help you do the work on your engine yourself. There's a prime example of that going on right now in this forum. The OP went thru the same thing with his mechanic that you are.

I can't believe there are more and more dishonest mechanics throwing away good business...

Before it becomes a nightmare get your bike back, pay for his time taking it apart, then charge him for the new crankshaft, it's too bad for him that you were prepared with pictures. Business owners are cheapening their labor with rookie mechanics these days or maybe he made a mistake that he can't afford to pay?

Not paying? go legal, you have proof.

Just my 2 cents.

he was going to replace the timing chain

I've never done an XR4 Timing chain but I have done one on a FT500/XL500. I removed the clutch pack to get at it. I couldn't find the procedure in the XR4 Manual, am I blind?

Would that not be left hand threaded. Probably tried rightie tightie lefty loosie and then said oops. I have come across some that are left hand thread. I always try and get a look at the threads if I can. You might even be able to tell which way he tried cranking it off if you look close enough.

Your pictures dont really show the main crankshaft nut threads.

In fairness to your mechanic he could be also right what about if he is telling the truth?

It could be somebody have messed it before or it could be the nut was over torque yes possible at the factory and when your poor mechanic take it off the threads strip.Yes it happens.

In some cases there are special left handed threads that inexperienced

mechanics turned it wrong way when lossening then stripping the threads.

Well what do you mean by main crankshaft nut?

The main crankshaft in a motorcycle is where the flywheel is connected and the connecting rod.

The transmission main shaft is where the clutch assy connects.

The transmission counter shaft is where the front sprocket connects it can also be called the output shaft.

Well correct me if I am wrong.

Your pictures dont really show the main crankshaft nut threads.

In fairness to your mechanic he could be also right what about if he is telling the truth?

It could be somebody have messed it before or it could be the nut was over torque yes possible at the factory and when your poor mechanic take it off the threads strip.Yes it happens.

It happened to me on a 2000 Yamaha TT-R125L. As it turned out I had to replace the crank anyway due to bad bearings, but when I went to remove the nut on the shaft it galled the shaft all the way off. Lucky for me it was junk anyway and only cost me to replace the nut.

But..." Yes it happens!"

Perc

timing chain is connecting crank an cam together. crank nut needs to be removed to replace chain. he is the only mechanic to have worked on bike in last 5 years when he rebuilt top end with a big bore kit. I think he replaced the timing chain then as well. He did tell me that if he is in a motor that far he always likes to replace the chain because it stretches over time and it is an inexpensive fix to a potentially big problem. I have trusted him before but suspect he has either financial or possibly other problems I am unaware of. I took this bike in to him in January and still havent got it back. One day I walked in there to see how it was going and he was asleep in his chair. He has a good reputation and comes highly reccomended by many. This is why I was taking my bike in to him, although he is expensive and slow! I dont know what to do. I want the bike back but I dont want to pay him for his mistake and I dont want to call him on it . I wish he would be honest. Anyhow, to end this, I am going in to get the bike next week and will pay him for his labor and parts minus the 300 bucks for a new crank. If he doesnt like it I guess he can waste his time by taking me to court and probably lose! I am not going to use him again so I have nothing to lose.

timing chain is connecting crank an cam together. crank nut needs to be removed to replace chain. he is the only mechanic to have worked on bike in last 5 years when he rebuilt top end with a big bore kit. I think he replaced the timing chain then as well. He did tell me that if he is in a motor that far he always likes to replace the chain because it stretches over time and it is an inexpensive fix to a potentially big problem. I have trusted him before but suspect he has either financial or possibly other problems I am unaware of. I took this bike in to him in January and still havent got it back. One day I walked in there to see how it was going and he was asleep in his chair. He has a good reputation and comes highly reccomended by many. This is why I was taking my bike in to him, although he is expensive and slow! I dont know what to do. I want the bike back but I dont want to pay him for his mistake and I dont want to call him on it . I wish he would be honest. Anyhow, to end this, I am going in to get the bike next week and will pay him for his labor and parts minus the 300 bucks for a new crank. If he doesnt like it I guess he can waste his time by taking me to court and probably lose! I am not going to use him again so I have nothing to lose.

Most four strokes crankshaft have 2 nuts.The one holding the flywheel what you are saying is called flywheel nut.The other one on the right side w/c holds the crankshaft gear is called the crankshaft nut.