xr200 wont idle! i'm going crazy

Allright. I'm not a expert but I know how to clean a carburetor. My sons 2000 xr200 has had idle issues in the past, but was always able to fix with a cleaning (clogged idle jet). So last time i cleaned EVERYTHING (tank, changed inline filter and cleaned carb). Ran good for awhile. But now its not idling again. Have cleaned and blown out all ports 3 times. The only thing that looks hinkey is the slide where the idle screw pushes to raise it has a groove worn into it. Is this groove enough to keep the slide just low enough so it wont idle? By the way when you crank the bike all it takes is a slight twist of the throttle to keep it running.

adjusting the idle screw does nothing. all in or all out: no change in rpm

I've ran the fuel/air screw in and out w/o any noticable difference. Have it set at 1 1/2 turns out now.

im taking about the idle speed screw.you turn the idle speed screw full in and it wont stay running? is the needle jet intact? checked pilto jet to make sure its clear?

Right. All the way in doesn't make it run. Pilot jet is clear.Not understanding about needle jet being "intact". Really appreciate the help y'all are givin!

Checked compression today. 90psi. Thats choke off throttle wide open decomp undone. Is this a solution to the bikes problem? I think comp is supposed to be 199psi:banghead:

checked valve clearances. Exhaust - Good. Intake - TIGHT,TIGHT!

Adjusted that, put her together. Runs like it never has before. Apparently it needed the valves adjusted when we got it last August. So not only does it idle it actually has some pep:) Thanks Eddie and you other TT guys.

Now to try and fix that sticky first gear.

On 3/20/2010 at 2:02 PM, Brash1 said:

checked valve clearances. Exhaust - Good. Intake - TIGHT,TIGHT!

Adjusted that, put her together. Runs like it never has before. Apparently it needed the valves adjusted when we got it last August. So not only does it idle it actually has some pep:) Thanks Eddie and you other TT guys.

Now to try and fix that sticky first gear.

Man I have been having the same problem! It's a pain when you wanna let off the throttle and tighten your helmet strap then it dies. I've cleaned my carb and done everything you have and still no idle. Lowered the needle setting from 4 down to 2 down and nothing. I'm pretty new to dirtbikes so I'm not sure how to check the valve clearance is that something somewhat simple to do or will I need feeler gauges?