Sign in to follow this  

KLR 250 timing marks

OK, so I have a 92 klr 250. I am investigating some bad noises right now. I think it is the piston so I am pulling stuff apart. I am a little confused though. Let's say that zero degrees is pointing to the right, horizontally (convention for anyone who's taken math/engineering classes). The kawi manual shows the exhaust cam timing mark at 180 degrees (in line with the case, toward the front of the engine). The intake is shown at 3 degrees (just slightly above horizontal, to the rear of the engine). (At TDC)

Here is my confusion. On my bike, both timing marks are 180 degrees off. The exhaust mark is at zero, and the intake mark is at 180 (at TDC). And the bike has run like this since I got it.

I'm thinking the best idea is to leave it alone, and reinstall the cams the way they are now, since it runs without issue (except that noise...). But a big part of me wants to put them back the way the manual says. Anyone else run into this?

Duh, I'm stupid, I have it set to exhaust stroke rather than compression. One more turn of the crank would turn the cams 180 degrees around, where the book says they should be.

You got it :banana:

I did the same thing when rebuilding my top end.

Make sure your valves are set properly, preferably on the looser end of the spectrum. .19-.24 iirc They become tighter as the miles pile on. The looser the valves the more clacking noise you will hear.

Also inspect your cams and rockers for damage, when they get worn they make a horrid clacking noise.