Sign in to follow this  

How well do my lap times compare?

So I have been riding for the past 4 weeks for the first time in 9 months. The other day I felt great and decided to put down 12 laps and record times. I put down a 1:46 and stayed within 2 seconds of that lap time, 1:46 being my fastest. I have a buddy who was riding out there and is a pretty fast A rider in our area. He was also doing the same thing as I and his fastest was a 1:40. So how do I stack up against him? Im racing C class this year but I feel as I am much faster. About how far off is each class in lap times than the others?

Practicing and racing are two different animals. Your 1:46 may not be a 1:46 in teh race. THere are so many other factors that need to be taken into consideration while racing.... adrenaline, anxiety, other riders, bottlenecks, fear...Hese all contribute to slower lap times. Have you raced before? 12 lap practice is great but in the actual race riding twelve laps seems to be much tougher. JMO.

To your question, start in a lower class and if you need to move up, do so accordingly.

Yup i have been racing for awhile. i always put down about the same laps in practice as in a race. I know the whole feeling of how its diffrent. We use transponders here so I can compare lap times from practice to my race. Im just curious to if thats alot or not.

Sound to me as if your looking to get bumped to a "A" class....... .06 isn't much time even for a "A" rider...

Good luck with those times....

Your buddy will lap you on lap 16. That will suck. B class riders are mostly just A riders who are sandbagging. Stay in C until you start winning alot of motos. Then move up.

Personally I am no where near an A class rider, my comfort on the bike doesnt match what they have at all! I will probablly stick with C and than move up sometime over the summer. I am very comfortable on my bike, but pro riders are an entire diffrent beast. I will stick with C class until mid summer and move up maybe. I was just curious to where the line is when it comes to being close and way off. I know some sports its a tenth of a second and some a few minutes, I wasnt sure where to draw the line.