Sign in to follow this  

drained my engine oil and...

There are a bunch of brass shavings in my oil catch.....fml. I still cant believe my eyes, im going to get a paint strainer and drain the oil once again so I can convince myself that the bottom end is toast. Its an 06 with about 75 hours on it. At this point what else should I be replacing besides rings?

thats the sure sign of a crankshaft failing slowly. It will seize up soon. stop riding and put a new crank with bearings and seals in , and maybe freshen up your top end if its due....

forgot to ask, how did you toast a crank in so little time. I think i got about 250 hours out of mine.

forgot to ask, how did you toast a crank in so little time. I think i got about 250 hours out of mine.

thats what im trying to figure out. maybe lugging it? i guess i just need to rev the shit out of it from now on

dirty oil, foreign particles in the oil, low quality oil, unbalanced crank, high rpms.. the brass shavings you see are from the thrust washers that sit between the case and crank..

theres an average amount of riders seeing 80-100 hrs out of a crank, and even if you get 250 hrs out of your crank its wise to get in there and check it out..

check your oil pump as well for scoring, sometimes the metal will between the rotor and case and score it..

i have been really good about changing the oil every few rides with quality honda stuff. I will let ya all know when i have an update