Sign in to follow this  

What dual sport would you recommend?

Ok, so I'm looking to buy a used dual sport.

I have a 2007 610SM that I considered buying dirt wheels for, but I really

do not fancy messing around with my bikes every time I want to go ride,

changing wheels back and forth. Plus, I baby this bike and do not want to

trash it in the bush.

So, I'm looking for something with decent power and between the price range of $2500 - $5000 max.

The bikes I've been looking at are 2003 - 2007 DRZ400S and 2006 - 2007 KTM 450exc and the 525 exc.

I really like the look of the KTM's, but I'm not sure about the reliability of them. The DRZ's seem to be very reliable, but then

I'm not too sure about the power. Being use to the 610sm, would it feel slow to me?

If you were in this situation, what bike would you prefer? I will ride mostly logging roads, trails and a bit on the

pavement between riding areas.

Any guidance, recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

I dont know what the prices of 06 + KTM EXC's are in BC, but here in NorCal you cant touch a used one under $6k. The EXC 450 or the TE450 are going to be considerbly racier than the DRZ in power delivery. I owned a well set up DRZ400S that I absolutely loved. The DRZ will be more than enough power on the fire roads and trails. You wont want as much power as your 610 on the trails - it would just tire you out faster. I liked the forget it ride maintenance of the DRZ. I own a TE450 now, which is similiar to the EXC in many ways that it requires more maintenance than the DRZ (valves etc). Both bikes are reliable, but they require more maintenance due to the fact they are racing motors - more so than your 610. If you are out just tooling around and dont want to fuss with the bike, get the DRZ. If you are going to be spending more time riding some knarly terrain, not spending much time on the pavement or fireroads and dont mind more maintenance - either the EXC or TE would be a good choice.

Thanx! Yeah that was pretty much my thoughts about the DRZ. I've been leaning towards the DRZ because they are cheaper and from what I've read, seem to be more reliable. The DRZ seems to be a good, all around bike to play around on. I really like that there are so many mods you can do to the bike and lots of aftermarket parts available. :banana:

I've been leaning towards the DRZ because they are cheaper and from what I've read, seem to be more reliable.

i have over 6000 miles on my drz, nasty single track woods, high speed street and everything in between. ive never even pulled the spark plug, just change the oil, check the air filter and ride :banana:

Thanx! Yeah that was pretty much my thoughts about the DRZ. I've been leaning towards the DRZ because they are cheaper and from what I've read, seem to be more reliable. The DRZ seems to be a good, all around bike to play around on. I really like that there are so many mods you can do to the bike and lots of aftermarket parts available. :banana:

Yep, great bikes. Just dont get crazy carried away with the mods on a DRZ. I've seen some where guys put a couple of grand into them. Gets the suspension set up for you and then enjoy if for what it is.... a great trail bike! I basically just put some good dirt tires on it, swapped out the springs front and rear, played with oil weight and height, set the sag and got all the knobs tuned in for me. Add a JD jet kit and opened up the box. A few hundred dollars and it handled all the single track I could throw at it. Still wish I had one in my garage. (though I do love my Husky)