Sign in to follow this  

Need hub help

Went riding yesterday for the first time this year. I put new wheel bearings in both wheels with the first ride beeing yesterday. When I put the bearings in they where tight as normal. After I finished riding I was cleaning the bike up and looked down an seen that the seal was out on the frnt wheel. So I take the wheel off and I could pull the bearing out with my finger. I bought another set of bearings today and installed them and thereis still a little play in the wheel. I checked for a cracked hub and there was no metal like anything was in a bind?? What do ya think and does anyone have a frnt hub forsale????

I'm wondering if its the right wheel to begin with. Did you have to press the bearing in or did you just push it in?

You might have to put some dimples in the hub using a punch on the inside where the bearing goes.

No I had to press them in. Its deff the right wheel. My brother bought the bike brand new. I did put the dimples in the rim but howlong will that last and that still doesnt answer why the wheel still has some play. Could that be just a linment problem or more bearing prob? Thanks

If you have to press them in then they shouldn't move at all. How did you press them in and how far?

did you use a bearing press like this? ( not the manual, lol)

bearingpress.jpg

no i just used a socket and a hammer and just tapped them in.. They went in as usual. Not to hard but to hard to press in by hand ya no......

aftermarket... I think they where all balls. I'm thinkin its the hub. I kinda backtracked myself. I had the forks off a while back to do a seal job and i'm wondering if maybe I didn't get them lined up perfect and that day of riding kinda wore the hub... Ya think that could have happend.. When I put the wheel on I tighten the pinch bolts then tighten the axle nut but I don't think I ever loosend the pinch bolts back up to let the forks set... Dunno. I think i'm just going to order a new set of rad wheels and hubs. I dnt really want to spend the money but now is a good reason to.

Did you put the spacer in between them, and did it fit correctly? I'm wondering if clamping up the spindle nipped the bearing centres together, if so then they wouldn't turn properly and the whole bearing might spin in the hub causing it to wear out.

All balls isn't that good based on my experience. They are kinda cheap chinese bearings. try pivotworks or OEM bearings before you blow a wad on some rims.

will do. Not sure about there mx stuff but I have built a couple choppers and there starters are top notch. You pay for them but when you are using big inch motors they are the only way to go. I am going to take the bike to our local suzuki shop and let him look at it first. They have always treated me good. Thanks for the help. I will keep ya posted...

yea i put everything in right. It has me puzzled to. The wear is deff in the hub I just cant figure out what happend. I have had the wheel off 100 times and only rode it once since the new bearings. I put some dimples in the hub but there is still some side to side play. Not much but enough to make me not ride it

Something isn't right. Do you still have the old bearings? Can you mic the old one and the new one to see if they are the same?

Maybe the hub is cracked in that area??????

I checked for cracks.. No I threw the old ones away. I dnt think there was anything wtrong with them now but I had them out a couple times to repack so I just threw in a new set. I am racing sunday so we will see how it goes..

Atleast go get one oem bearing and try it. I would hate to see anyone get hurt because of some silly person in a warehouse didn't mark the bearing right or something.