Sign in to follow this  

I need a new engine and Spring Cleaning. Your insights appreciated.

Since the engine has exploded in my 2001 DRZ400E, I have taken it out and off, along with everything else on the bike and plan to give everything a good scrubbing and refurbishing while its apart.

The engine is going in to get refurbished, if it's in a salvageable state, or replaced with a new one. That being said (if my engine ISN'T salvageable):

Does anyone here on ThumperTalk have an engine for a 2001 DRZ400 they're wanting to sell me?

PM me if you do.

For Plastics, the DRZ has:

-Front/Rear Fender

-Radiator shrouds

-(gas tank)

-3 side plastics

Is there a kit (that I have not found) that includes all 7 plastics, by the same brand/color/fabrication method/style etc? I want it.

I was calling around today to price out a powder coating job for the frame. They places here in Tucson want on average $200 to blast, mask, prime, and paint....::banana: That's how I feel about that. A little pricey in my opinion - but I may follow through with it to protect my already cosmetically-damaged frame from the elements in the future. Any other reasonably priced, durable painting options for a frame?

I'd love everyone to post their favorite DRZ pictures (of yours or someone else) to get some ideas of what i can do on the appearance side of things.

Proformance suggestions are always welcome as well; engine, frame, suspension, anything!

Thanks in advance. I cant wait to be riding again :lol:

DO NOT POWDERCOAT THE DRZ FRAME! DISASTER WAITING IF YOU DO!

You will kill a second engine. It is VERY difficult to keep blast media out of the oil tank. Long story short been there done that it was a giant fiasco. Many others have made that mistake.

What happened to your engine? a 2001 E engine just sold for 510 on eBay. I have bought a few for around the same price.

i did think about that whole oil tank/frame fiasco. good point. it was a little expensive anyway.

someone didn't torque all or one of four of the camshaft "bridge" bolts. snowball downwards from there.

i keep missing the ebay ones - as sad as that sounds :banana:

whats the big deal as long as they flush it and you flush it a few times whats the problem? it only a little space it wouldnt take much to flush it out real good? when i got a price last year i asked about it and the paint place said they have a solution to flush it when their done. but i never torn down the bike so go figure

i have no idea, it was at the start of last spring and i wanted to do it but i didnt want to strip the whole bike so i said f it. i would like to do it now since i bought the rmz last year and have a second bike. theres a custom harley shop a few miles away that does it i have to stop in because i heard they do bike and atv frames now too

whats the big deal as long as they flush it and you flush it a few times whats the problem? it only a little space it wouldnt take much to flush it out real good? when i got a price last year i asked about it and the paint place said they have a solution to flush it when their done. but i never torn down the bike so go figure

Be my guest dude. Do not do it. It will never come out. I promise you. The place that f****ed mine up tried to clean it a bunch of times, they sent it out to a professional cleaning place. I scoped it with a laproscope at my dads office. I will post photos if you want to see how nasty it was inside after hundreds of dollars of effort. I finally had to sue them to replace my frame since they didnt listen to me and didn't mask the tank properly.

Aint worth it unless you machine some badass plugs that will work absolutely perfectly. TRUST ME!

And as far as an engine...once I get my 470 all sorted out and running, I will sell you the S engine I have in my bike for what I bought it for plus shipping.....

PM me.

Aaron:

Sending it out tomorrow to Eddie to get a guess on how much it'll cost. I'm not sure what all is bad with it.

Spring Cleaning:

Bike on the side trying bang out the swing arm shaft. :banana:

swingarm%20shaft.jpg

All the parts that came off the frame. My pile to clean, work on for the next week or so. Don't you dare even criticize me for my BALD tire.

more%20parts.jpg

Soaked EVERYTHING in degreaser, rinsed and dried to prevent rust/water spots.

parts.jpg

Surprising how tall the handlebars sit without the rest of the weight on it :smirk: My buddy.

funny.jpg

Frame/suspension coming back together. :banana:

Frame.jpg

Getting excited to ride!! :banana::banana::lol::banana::prof::busted:

Did you regrease your linkage etc after soaking it in degreaser?

Looks good, I am sure eddie will give you an honest recommendation as to what it needs.

I have not yet RElinked, or put anything together, but i plan to when i do. :banana:

Anything special/specific i can use to inhibit corrosion/rust? Especially on swing arm thru axle?

I have not yet RElinked, or put anything together, but i plan to when i do. :banana:

Anything special/specific i can use to inhibit corrosion/rust? Especially on swing arm thru axle?

Light coating of anti seize of heavy grease.