Sign in to follow this  

2010 oil amount/general 2010 info..

How much oil are you guys running in the engine/tranny?

Just going by the book?

Just setting up my 2010 up and going to break it in soon, I know in the 09 lots of guys liked to run a little extra on the tranny side.

Opinions appreciated!

Also any extra general info on the bike itself from some guys who have had theirs for a while would be great!

I have been running the std amounts in the engine and the tranny. A little more in the transmission is not a bad idea. Still, with 3 bottles of oil you can do 2 complete oil changes, which is not bad when considering the cost. I ran the HondaPro4 Conventional 10W-40 for the first 6 hours in the engine, changing the oil twice, and then switched to a Silkolene 10W-40 SynBlend. In the tranny I have been running a conventional medium gear oil, about 80W, such as Silkolene. On the first change to gear oil I did have a little stickiness in the clutch at first...after I warmed it up and went to put it in gear, it stalled with the clutch pulled in, twice. After that little sketchy behavior, it has been great. I like the way the clutch grabs and slips and the pull is very easy. The manual says to run 10W-40 or 10W-30 oil, just like the engine, in the transmission but I have always run the medium or light gear oil in my 2-strokes with good results, so I am doing the same in this CRF250R. Some guys have complained that the smooth clutch pull goes away very quickly, and they attribute it to the cable being run too close to the exhaust I think, which can ruin the cable they say. I have not had this problem and I am coming up on 10 hrs.

Another mod I did that I really recommend is to put a stiffer spring in the front fork. I switched out the stock 0.45 kg/mm for 0.46 kg/mm Factory Connection springs and I have been amazed at the positive difference this makes in both handling and how the suspension soaks up chunky, bumpy terrain. It seems like a very minor change, but it is enough to keep the fork extended up more so that it does not start out hitting a bump already into the stiffer part of the travel. It actually adds plushness. I weigh about 175 with my gear on, so a heavier guy might benefit for a little stiffer spring like a 0.48 kg/mm. This mod helps with braking, decel, and jumping to keep the chassis in a more favorable geometry for better handling.

I think the next mod I will do is to add a longer link to the rear suspension, such as the one Ride Eng makes. Factory Connection, Pro Circuit, and Ride links for this bike all have the same length, 146mm I think, compared to 144 stock. This will be beneficial to the handling and kicks the front wheel out a little bit to make the bike a little more stable and also takes away some of the headshake that the damper fails to.

Finally, I have a Ron Hamp/UFO Tuf Racing throttle body insert. I have not installed it yet, but it makes the 50mm TB into a 43mm I believe. All the other fuel injected bikes are using a smaller TB than Honda, and it helps throttle response and low end torque I'm told.

Oh, and I also have a FMF powerbomb / Factory 4.1 Stainless System. Until March 31st these are going for ~$520 from FMF with their 20% off deal. IT is a very nice system I think. Quieter than stock and lets the bike rev out better. Improves top end and mid while keeping the low end about the same. I find enough torque in the low end of this bike but some say it is too weak there. The midrange is really where I like to ride it for the most part, and this engine has great midrange.

750ml in the tranny, measured it last time i changed.

didnt measure the engine, i did it first and just wasnt thinking about it.

it was it was between 500ml and 750ml and i changed the filter.

next oil change i will measure it.