Sign in to follow this  

Beta radiator coolant overflow tank

Living here in warm Arizona, I wanted a coolant overflow tank on my new Beta RS450. I wasn’t keen on any aftermarket offerings or the “turkey baster” idea either, so I decided to try and make one myself. I’ve often noticed the nice aluminum aerosol bottles for products such as hair sprays, mouse, shaving cream, and so on. These containers seemed strong but very lightweight. So after perusing the toiletries section of my local Target, I came up with this:

DSC01700.jpg

It was a little 2 OZ travel can of shaving cream. After emptying the contents, I drilled out the spray nozzle and JB welded a 1/8” piece of aluminum tubing, cutting the bottom at a 45 degree angle and making sure it was all the way at the bottom of the container. Then I JB’d the vent nipple at the side, and sanded and painted it black satin to match the Beta’s frame.

DSC01702.jpgDSC01706.jpg

Then carefully cutting the radiator vent tubing appropriately, I mounted it with a couple of tie wraps. It seems to be good and secure.

DSC01713.jpg

DSC01714.jpg

So what do you guys think? I know the 2 OZ capacity isn’t a lot, but hopefully it is enough to preserve most of the coolant. I also ordered a fan kit, so that should also help any potential over heating conditions.

So what do you guys think? I know the 2 OZ capacity isn’t a lot, but hopefully it is enough to preserve most of the coolant. I also ordered a fan kit, so that should also help any potential over heating conditions.

So let me get this straight…you trash up your beautiful exotic bike with an old shaving cream can that belongs in the dumpster, and you want affirmation from us? You either need a shrink or a new hobby.

That's using your head.

There's nothing wrong with that (and nothing wrong with saving 30 to 40 bucks...or more).

I think you maybe a little too small, but you already noted that.

I may do something like that and place it in my air box.

Where you have it, just looks too venerable.

I also would have maybe used a more flexible adhesive for holding the tubes in place.

Marine goop or something like that (That stuff is amazing).

Other than that....great job.

Looking good IMO. Nice work.

BTW, don't pay attention to the clowns who criticize you,but can't offer advice.

I like it...pretty much invisible at a glance and I think the 2 oz. size might be perfect. I have overflowed my 525 rs and if you only keep your radiator 1/4" above the fins, which is where it is supposed to run, it should work fine at that size. I might try one of these sand blasted and try to match the motor....might look factory and if not I can paint it and do the stealth look like you have. Good job!

So let me get this straight…you trash up your beautiful exotic bike with an old shaving cream can that belongs in the dumpster, and you want affirmation from us? You either need a shrink or a new hobby.

you my friend are a douche. if you dont know what comradery is i think maybe you're the one in need of a new hobby....

I think it looks alright by me. ..almost looks factory. ..Smart.... you don't need to spend alot for nothing if you can make it for cheap and it looks and works good. Moto9's looks pretty good too. I recognize that nice gasgas with the caneknife mounted on it :lol::banana:

I bought a ktm quad overflow tank on ebay for $12 I'm going to mount it in the front of my left radiator guard. I was going to make one too but saw the ebay one and just got that. I put the fan on my 09 525 RS and glad I did. In these tight trails I here that thing's going off regular. I also got a higher pressure rad. cap. I have to put some engine ice or royal purple/water mix. I have it just didn't do it yet.

you my friend are a douche. if you dont know what comradery is i think maybe you're the one in need of a new hobby....

Dude, all I'm saying it that why trash is up with of all things a shaving cream can. And behold, he didn't invent the thing,

Spend a couple of bucks tightwad. I wouldn't put trash on my bike, but to each his own I gess. http://www.dirtrider.com/gear/141_0407_dirtbike_coolant_recovery_tank/index.html

Douche yourself

Dude, all I'm saying it that why trash is up with of all things a shaving cream can. And behold, he didn't invent the thing,

Spend a couple of bucks tightwad. I wouldn't put trash on my bike, but to each his own I gess. http://www.dirtrider.com/gear/141_0407_dirtbike_coolant_recovery_tank/index.html

Douche yourself

That may be nice if you want to spend the 70 odd dollars to purchase that. Anyone can BUY something. But not everyone can turn a shaving cream can into a coolant recovery tank. It's a good idea, looks almost as good as the link that you posted, plus he got a few shaves out of the deal. You can spend the 70 bucks if you want, but the OP is laughing all the way to the bank. 70 dollars to me is a day of riding when you factor in food, transportation, gas and maintenance. There's no need to rip on the guy especially since he created something that is pretty trick. If you wanted to be constructive or helpful then maybe offer up some advice as to how he can improve the design for next time. 70 dollars to me is a day of riding when you factor in food, transportation, gas and maintenance.

Not only that, but the tree huggers should be happy.....thats one less can of shaving cream that is in the landfills. :banana:

Just my .02, rant over.

Douche yourself

Trash is up? What are you talking about? The link you give above has a recovery tank for $79. and it looks exactly the same as what you say is trashing the bike!!! Tightwad? Smart is more correct. You can pay $80 for a little container with a couple of hoses if you like . I'll stick to not wasting my money.

Where you have it, just looks too venerable.

I also would have maybe used a more flexible adhesive for holding the tubes in place.

Marine goop or something like that (That stuff is amazing).

I think your right about the more flexible adhesive. I've got some black silicone that I will just fill the top cavity with. I considered the vunerable location, but it has some protection from the desert skid plate, at least if it does get bashed, I'm no worse off than without it. That one aftermarket one was only 2oz as well, so who know, maybe it will be enought? I'm getting the fan as well.

good point on location of the canister.

I think the 2oz size is just right. just big enough to catch those "burps".

I like the skid plate and saw it on the Beta web site.

That is on my list of "things to get" as well as the rear shark fin (on back order)................I'D MAKE THEM MYSELF IF I COULD....OUT OF TRASH!!! :banana:

(no dis-respect DeeRzee - kudos to you for having bank)

Here's mine for about $10.00

PVC pipe.

009.jpg

013.jpg

I have to ask, what in the world are you doing to overheat an EC300? Mine is one of the best bikes I've ever owned when it comes to running cool.

Douche yourself

I installed a pricy one on a friends KTM..."can't remember the make, but IMHO it was a POS.

It had these rubber mounted brass fittings the hoses attach to...they were super flimsey. I pulled one out just by trying to pull the hose off the end.

Mine may look like sh*t, but it's solid and was cheap to build.

I have to ask, what in the world are you doing to overheat an EC300? Mine is one of the best bikes I've ever owned when it comes to running cool.

We don't always hit trails like this first one but it is often enough.

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117?feature=mhw4#p/f/12/w1aZMPUegvg

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117?feature=mhw4#p/f/37/AjZrJPfKLOI

These 2 are in prime conditions with no rain and little or no mud. When it rains regular trails turn more adventurous.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I installed a pricy one on a friends KTM..."can't remember the make, but IMHO it was a POS.

It had these rubber mounted brass fittings the hoses attach to...they were super flimsey. I pulled one out just by trying to pull the hose off the end.

Mine may look like sh*t, but it's solid and was cheap to build.

It doesn't look like sh*t. It looks nice and it's out of the way.:banana:

I like it...pretty much invisible at a glance and I think the 2 oz. size might be perfect. I have overflowed my 525 rs and if you only keep your radiator 1/4" above the fins, which is where it is supposed to run, it should work fine at that size.

Note that in order for the CRT to work properly, the radiator reservoir must be filled to the top. This also increases the cooling efficiency of the system to some extent.

If it is reservoir is filled to the top where is there room for the overflow from the radiator going?

??

The coolant recovery system works in motorcycles just like it does in cars, i.e. as the coolant warms up and expands it leaves the overflow from the radiator into the CRT (coolant recovery tank), and then while the coolant temp lowers it is 'sucked' back into the radiator.