Sign in to follow this  

Crf150r

my buddy is selling a 150r for 2100.. but it has a little more then 70 hours on the bike. this bike is the expert so i dont no if i should get a different bike or get ths. is that alot of hours???

what year is it? Also unless he's had it recently serviced then you'll pay quite a bit to get the valves adjusted, new piston rings, ect...

2100 seems a bit high to me unless it has some decent mods to it.

i plann to ride a local club

Perhaps I needed to word my question differently: what TYPE of riding do you plan to do at this club?? Is it MX, SX, trail riding, GNCC, enduro, etc.? Is the terrain sandy, rocky, swampy, two-track, single-track, no-track, groomed, steep hills, flat, TT, flat track, ice track, etc.?

You see, the type of use the bike will receive dictates its suitability and the modifications you may or may not want to make to it.

Another consideration is your physical size. The CRF150R/RB is a SMALL bike! If you are much over 5'6" you will be cramped and not very comfortable. Oh, I know there are guys over six feet who ride this bike, but this bike was never designed for an adult rider; it was designed for a young/smaller rider in the mini classes. If you are over about 5' 8" you may want to consider a full-sized bike instead. The CRF150R/RB makes plenty of power to haul around a larger rider, but the ergonomics are not even adequate.

To answer your original question: 70 hours is not a good indicator of the condition of the bike. The maintenance on the bike is much more important. Have the oil/filter been changed on a frequent basis? Has the air filter been serviced regularly and properly re-installed? Have the suspension linkages and fork bearings been serviced regularly and fasteners properly torqued? Have the sprockets and chain been replaced recently? Are the tires worn past their useful point? Is the plastic in good shape? Seat? Forks and shock been serviced since new? Controls (levers & pedals) straight? Brake pads good? Brake fluids replaced recently? Clutch work smoothly and with low effort?

You see, there is a lot more to a bike than just "hours". And you've told us nothing that will help us make an accurate recommendation as to the suitability of this bike for your needs; we know nothing about you, the bike, or the use to which it will be put. Give us more info.

what year is it? Also unless he's had it recently serviced then you'll pay quite a bit to get the valves adjusted, new piston rings, ect...

2100 seems a bit high to me unless it has some decent mods to it.

Out here in Northern CA used 07 and 08s are going for $2300 to $2500. I just bought 2 used. One 2007 very low hours all stock for $2500 and another 2008 Big Wheel for $2600 with Applied clamps and nearly new.

$2100 seems fairly good if the bike is not all beat up.

Good luck

You can buy my 2007rb big wheel for that money, new front springs (175lbs) two bros racing, factory works rear spring 5.6 kg, pro taper bars, new clutch, and new intermediate rear tire. :banana:

I'm 190lbs and coming off pit bikes to big bikes so this is a huge step up for me, tons of room from a 14/12 inch wheel set up. My bro-in-law has a 250 and it "feels" too big for me still.