Sign in to follow this  

Engine Seized

So I went for a 30 mile ride yesterday and towards the end of my ride my engine completely seized up. Upon further inspection I found this on top of my piston

0309101754a.jpg

looks as if it a washer thats had the shit beat out of it. Anybody have any idea of where this come from? I had the bike apart a month ago and have been riding 5 times since so I dont think its a case of me leaving something in the airbox...

nope the valves and everything are intact. If it was a valve shim how would it get on top of the piston?

Need a better photo and something to compare the piece with size wise. Is it aluminum, or will it stick to a magnet?

yea sorry for the shitty pic I broke my camera last week..It is magnetic and it looks to be the diameter of dime and its defnitly a washer of some type

I just had the keeper on one of my exhaust valves fail last weekend. It would be about that size, are you sure your valve train is completely in tact?

that sucks man, is everything in the top end ruined?
yup...piston is toast as well as the cylinder, and my brand new 800 dollar ported head is destoryed too:bonk:
I just had the keeper on one of my exhaust valves fail last weekend. It would be about that size, are you sure your valve train is completely in tact?
yup the valve train compleletly intact, whatever it is came through the intake port because I can see little tick marks all over it where it bounced around

just a little update....still havent figured out where that washer came from:banghead:. Ordered up an athena 280 kit and I was able to save the head besides for one of the exhaust valves, so not as bad as I thought

Did you remove the cylinder yet? I would bet it's a part of a ring on the piston that broke off. It's easy to over lap those rings and they will break.

yup took everything apart, piston and rings looked fine. whatever it was came through the air intake

yup took everything apart, piston and rings looked fine. whatever it was came through the air intake

I highly doubt that. The valves don't open up that wide. What does the faces and seats of your valves look like? I bet they are beat to snot if that's the case.

Did you take your rings off the piston and line up the top and bottom rings? I bet that a piece of the top ring is missing. I've seen this a few times before.

I highly doubt that. The valves don't open up that wide. What does the faces and seats of your valves look like? I bet they are beat to snot if that's the case.

Did you take your rings off the piston and line up the top and bottom rings? I bet that a piece of the top ring is missing. I've seen this a few times before.

Definitly wasnt the rings, there are contact marks on the tops of the valves and couple on the seats...I ended up just having to replace one of the exhaust valves

Definitly wasnt the rings, there are contact marks on the tops of the valves and couple on the seats...I ended up just having to replace one of the exhaust valves

So your intake valves actually ate this part and you don't have to replace them? But your exhaust valve has to be replaced? I hope it all goes back together well for you. Good luck.

trust me im just as baffled as you:bonk:

• Like 1

Very strange. How well did you Inspect the valve guides? I know you checked valve train, but it looks like it could be broken guide. Or else look into something that may have broke lose in your carb.