Sign in to follow this  

Got asked to race Baja 250, what do I do

Got a call from a friend, the other rider backed out. Wants me to ride the first 50 miles, of whoops.:banana: All I have to do is get to San Felipe with my gear, and be ready to race saturday morning.:banana:

It's my daughters 16th birthday Sunday.:lol: I have to be back early to take her whale watching . I called some friends who want to go, but they don't want to leave till after the finish.

I may finish my part of the race, then ride my 650L home:ride: how will I get from where I get off the bike to my 650L.

The only other bad thing, is I have to race a KTM 505.:banana::banana:

that's what i'd call a good problem to have.

can the chase/pit vehicle take your 650 to the handoff? that'd be the most convenient way for you.

i need friends like yours.

it is not a problem, im sure it will blow up off the start gate and you will get home early for your daughters b-day. now you get to say you race baja, you dont stand up your daughter, and you will get to rip on us ktm guys more....sounds like its all win win win for you :banana:

be in shape and be ready for whoops and big sand whoops and more whoops.

having raced it in a truck and 5 open (unlimited beam buggy type) it is a rough course. it does have some beautiful scenery though.

a 500 course whould be better IMO.

at any rate, sounds like a great opportunity and a chance of a life time. good luck.

In this case, I have to agree. You're mind isn't going to be on the race. You're going to feel rushed for time in getting back, and that's a bad combination. Things just stack up from there. That all could contribute to a disaster.

You're questioning the members on what to do tells me you know what to do. Don't try to find ways to justify the scenario above.

Family first...

Family first...
My daughter, and wife, told me to race.:banana:

Things are working out really well. Can't wait to ride.:lol:

Go ride and then like shcrode said have the chaser vehicle take your 650l to the hand off. Your done and go home to give your daughter her brand new used 1990 taurus.

I may finish my part of the race, then ride my 650L home:ride: how will I get from where I get off the bike to my 650L.

1. you will be doing a rider switch at rm40. The chase vehicle bringing the other rider could bring your bike.

2. chase vehicle will bring you back to San Felipe and you can get on your bike there.

3. have other rider ride to rm40 on the highway on your bike. I've seen that done before.

Either way, you should be in Calexico before lunchtime Saturday. Good luck! What is the bikes number?

---

1. you will be doing a rider switch at rm40. The chase vehicle bringing the other rider could bring your bike.

2. chase vehicle will bring you back to San Felipe and you can get on your bike there.

3. have other rider ride to rm40 on the highway on your bike. I've seen that done before.

Either way, you should be in Calexico before lunchtime Saturday. Good luck! What is the bikes number?

---

Our bike # is 349X We are racing 30-over

I got it all worked out. Heading down with, pit crew, in truck tomorrow after lunch. bringing 650L to PRE run and ride home after finish. I Am starting and getting off the bike after whoops, then getting in the chase truck to next rider switch. Even if I leave San Felipe by 3;00 I will be O.K.:bana

TOTAL MILEAGE: 248 miles (4 checkpoints). The course is a long, fairly narrow loop extending north of San Felipe up to and along Highway 3 and south almost to Puertecitos on the east side adjacent to the Sea of Cortez. Course will start and finish in the shadow of the famed San Felipe Arches. Heading northwest of town, it runs in a counterclockwise direction. Course runs North, northwest, west and south of town. The challenging course runs through three major washes in the area: Matomi, Huatomote and finally Chanate, with silt, jagged rocks, and narrow passes between walls of rock, and is considered to be ‘The best of Baja.’

CLASS 30 (Riders over 30 years old)--

301x Javier Hernandez/David Topete, Obregon, Mexico/Mike Crowford, Phoenix/Earl Roberts, Mexicali, Mexico, Honda CRF450X

302x Jim O’Neal/Jimmy O’Neal Jr., Simi Valley, Calif./David Fry, Las Vegas/Clint Braun, Henderson, Nev., Honda CRF450X

300x Mike Johnson, El Paso, Texas/Rex Cameron, Albuquerque, N.M., Honda CRF450X

304x William Peel, Gilbert, Ariz., Honda CRF450X

305x Sol Saltzman, Red Cliff, Colo./Matthew Karlsen, Denver/Pete Schmidtmann, San Felipe, Mexico, Honda CRF450X

306x Francisco Septien, Ensenada, Mexico/Shane Esposito, Lake Elsinore, Calif./Gerardo Rojas, Vicente Guerrero, Mexico, Honda CRF450X

349x Jon Jessey, Carlsbad, Calif/ Craig Hammon Carlsbad Calif.,, KTM 505XCF

CLASS 40 (Riders over 40 years old)--

401x Peter Hardy, Pozo, Calif., Honda XR650R

402x Louie Franco, Sherman Oaks, Calif./Brett Helm, Poway, Calif./Jeff Kaplan, Thousand Oaks, Calif./Ricky Johnson, Trabuco Canyon, Honda CRF450X

403x Duane Dickinson, Canada, Yamaha WR450F

404x Tom Vogt, Tempe, Ariz./Ken Hughes, Gilbert, Ariz./Gary Lane, Mesa, Ariz, Honda CRF450X

405x Henrik Andersen, Capistrano Beach, Calif./Todd Corbitt, Irvine, Calif., Yamaha WR450F

406x Cameron Steele, San Clemente, Calif./Tim Morton, Escondido, Calif./Brian Campbell, Bakersfield, Calif./Brian Sweeney, Lancaster, Calif., Honda CRF450X

449x Terry Peregoodoff, Canada, Yamaha WR450

Wow, looks like 402x Ricky Johnson is starting behind us in the over 40 class.

I will try to take some pictures of this AWESOME dual sport adventure.

Edited by craig hammon

its awesome your riding your bike there and back.

not sure what the border crossing will be like the day of the race but since you will be on a bike that should save you having to wait in traffic if there is any so you can get back in time.

i know the day after the race crossing the border is horrible. 3+ hours sometimes in a truck at least.

again, good luck and be safe. im sure you will post a report of the race.

via zoo road !

it is not a problem, im sure it will blow up off the start gate and you will get home early for your daughters b-day. now you get to say you race baja, you dont stand up your daughter, and you will get to rip on us ktm guys more....sounds like its all win win win for you :banana:

My response was unkind, my apologies.

Is it 50 miles of solid whoops? That sounds like punishment not fun.

My response was unkind, my apologies.

what reply? did i miss something?

rock on craig, best wishes, sorry you GOTTA ride a ktm, but it might surprise you and be OK:thumbsup:

Good luck! I'll be keeping track of the race though Race-Dezert. I'll keep an eye and an ear out for #349x, as well as well as #406x (PAB is awesome). As well as the Class 9 Buggies, one of these days we'll get our Class 9 to a Mexican race!

Back in Carlsbad, had a great time. Rode the first 30 miles, then from 150- 235, then let the owner, get on and cross the finish line.

What an Adventure. (KTM's) :banana: Co Co offered me 50 Pesos for my bike, as it was overheating, before the start.:banana::lol::banana: Sal Fish was shaking his head.

At mile marker 196 the bike stalled, like it was out of gas. The fuel line had broken.:banana: I had to replace it with my Camel Back hose. The bike was a 2009 with 5 hours on it, that John bought after his 530 blew up 3 weeks ago

2 flats, 1 I got, when I hit a rock, the other right after the first hand off when the owner went end over end. He got hurt, that is why I stayed, and got to ride more.:banana: anything for a friend!

I don't know how many guys started in front of me, but they told me I was in 15th. place at the hand off, 30 miles into the race.

We finished, first time out,:lol:

Thanks, a lot to all well wishers.

I go to go, I have a birthday to be at early in the morning.

Course map, Score San Felipe 250

http://www.dirtnewz.com/events-09/sanfelipe/images/Map.pdf

Edited by craig hammon

I made it to the birth day party, time to enjoy a few beers and post, the only pictures I took.

2010SanFelipe250008.jpg

Our crew chief, on left (Scott) and the owner John on right.

2010SanFelipe250007.jpg

Myself and John, pushing our bike through tech.

2010SanFelipe250010.jpg

2010SanFelipe250005.jpg

Edited by craig hammon