Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 & Trials Tire

I ride a CRF450 strictly trail/woods riding. I am thinking about mounting a trials tire. Is this a good thing to do or should I stick with knobby tire? Any insight would be appriciated.

I have considered the same thing. You may get more responses if you let us know what type of riding you do, and the typical conditions you encounter.

My last tire change was from a D756 to a D956. I felt more roll (leaning traction with the new tire especially on hardpack) which may or may not be a trait of a Trials tire.

Check the search area in the WR450 forum, I think a few of those guys have made the switch.

Good luck.

I live in the ozark mountains of Arkansas. I ride a YZ450. I am not an advocate of the trials tire because of two reasons. It looks really gay and it does not perform unless you are in 100% rocks. Granted, it does well when you are running a rock shelf or hitting a ledge rock. They are super thin and cause pinched tubes, so be prepared to run a bib mousse if you go that route. The way i look at things is this...what are the pro's doing? they have expendable budgets and have the best of minds thinking of ways to go faster on all sorts of terrain...how many trials tires do you see on the PRO line at a GNCC??? sorry, but none! I would say if you are poking around on some rocks all the time, then the trials tire would be worth it. I have found that the advocates of using trials tires on the rear of offroad race bikes are generally very adamant that the tire will hook better than any knobby, anywhere...my rebuttal to this is simple. 100 year of tire engineering and ingenuity and the culmination is a trials tire? Not hardly. To each his own, but i'll keep my knobbys.

I live in the ozark mountains of Arkansas. I ride a YZ450. I am not an advocate of the trials tire because of two reasons. It looks really gay and it does not perform unless you are in 100% rocks. Granted, it does well when you are running a rock shelf or hitting a ledge rock. They are super thin and cause pinched tubes, so be prepared to run a bib mousse if you go that route. The way i look at things is this...what are the pro's doing? they have expendable budgets and have the best of minds thinking of ways to go faster on all sorts of terrain...how many trials tires do you see on the PRO line at a GNCC??? sorry, but none! I would say if you are poking around on some rocks all the time, then the trials tire would be worth it. I have found that the advocates of using trials tires on the rear of offroad race bikes are generally very adamant that the tire will hook better than any knobby, anywhere...my rebuttal to this is simple. 100 year of tire engineering and ingenuity and the culmination is a trials tire? Not hardly. To each his own, but i'll keep my knobbys.

Simple question for you..... Have you Personally ever used a trials tire on your bike and in various conditions? If the answer is no, then why would you poo poo the idea for others?

Are you a pro? I am not, most people are not. So just cause a pro does things a certain way does not mean we all have to be copycats.

The trials tire issue is such a weird thing to watch. It is just a tire. What is the most it could cost someone to try one.... 100$? Why would people be so against something that clearly must be something since so many people do it, when it only costs less than a hundred bucks to try out.

I use a trials tire and I am a B level rider. It helps me, not hurts me on the trails and on the race course. I have never gotten a pinch flat. I ride in mud often with my trials tire and I get as good or better traction as the knobbie tire provides. Generally the trials tire lasts longer too.

It's easy to tell that Brawg hasn't run one. Pinch flats are not an issue, the tires are far from thin, and they perform very well on darn near any surface.

Anyway, mount one up and run it. What have you got to loose? It's going to outlast a knobby AND grip better.

I cut out some stuff to address this specifically: The way i look at things is this...what are the pro's doing? they have expendable budgets and have the best of minds thinking of ways to go faster on all sorts of terrain...how many trials tires do you see on the PRO line at a GNCC??? sorry, but none! cut this stuff too!

The pros have a tire sponsor and will ride what the sponsor wants them to ride on. If they want to sell trials tires - they would make sure their riders were on them, if they want to sell Knobbies - they make sure thats what their pro rides. If in fact trials do last so much longer - then as a tire manufacturer - who pull in 80 - 100 bucks every month or so from anyone using their knobs - why would you want anyone to switch to trials tires?

Thats the conspiracy theory answer - my answer - as soonm as I can ride as fast as a GNCC pro - I will ride on Knobbies - until then - if it saves me money and makes me a better rider - I'm all for it. Do I ride a trials tire - nope not yet - but I just ordered my first one - so I'll let you know how it compares. I do know I have seen far more positive - both commenting on traction (all across the spectrum) and wear!

I suspect the real issue for Brawg is in fact contained in his first sentence - when he says it looks "gay". Anyone struggling with their personal sexual identity goes he extra mile to keep up appearances - Good for you Brawg!

all of that is said with tongue planted firmly in cheek - right brawg? or did it hit a bit to close to home?

Carl - Yup I ride a sissy bike - so what does that say about you - if I beat you?

Johansson

Does the low pressure you run in a trials tire cause more rims to be bent when riding at "pro" level speeds?

I ride at a little faster than a walking pace so I don't think I would worry about it, but I could see someone hitting a log in 4th gear pinned on a 450 with 6 psi in their tire causing some rim issues.

I don't think any more than a knobby. If you're gonna be riding on wide open spaces, you need to bump the pressure up a hair anyway.

I live in the ozark mountains of Arkansas. I ride a YZ450. I am not an advocate of the trials tire because of two reasons. It looks really gay

I got a kid that won't run one for this same reason. I of course laugh at him when I ride right past him on hills and such.

I ride Arkansas a LOT and find the trials tires to be vastly better than knobbies in most of the areas. If you're an aggressive rider use the Pirelli MT-43 which is a bias ply versus a radial trials tire. It doesn't have quite the traction of something like the Michelin X-11 but it's DOT rated and has much stiffer sidewalls. Use the Bridgestone UHD tube which is a 4mm tube when running trials tires. I usually run 8-9 lbs for casual trial riding and 12 lbs for aggressive riding. I haven't had a pinch flat in years.

The other MAJOR bonus is the tires last three times as long making them by far and away the cheapest tire option. You definitely need to change your riding style to a more smooth roll on, roll off the throttle versus point and shoot but once you get used to it you'll be much faster.

I live in the ozark mountains of Arkansas. I ride a YZ450. I am not an advocate of the trials tire because of two reasons. It looks really gay and it does not perform unless you are in 100% rocks.

The above statement is a complete pile of bullcrap. All should disregard. :lol:

Plenty of good info out there about trials tires, to sum up my experience:

1. only 18" are available. if you have a 19" rim (crf450r), then your problem is solved.

2. Trials tires get incredible traction in dry loose conditions as well as rocks and wet roots and other nasty stuff. If you ride alot of extreme technical terrain, they can be a big help and also save you $$ since they hold up well as long as you're not wildly spinning the tire everywhere.

3. They get better traction when not sliding, but when sliding, they get less traction than a knobby. People who have no control over the rear brake can find this disconcerting when descending very steep hills. People who have good control over the rear brake don't notice it.

Similarly, trials tires don't really work as well imho for aggressive sliding cornering styles.

4. If you slam into objects hard, the softer sidewalls are more prone to pinch flats. Hasn't proven to be a problem for me. I run ultra-heavy-duty tubes with any tire.

I personally use a trials tire for technical mountain trail rides, and switch to a knobby for racing and for high-speed desert riding. You'll have to decide if it suits your particular terrain and riding style.

One reason you rarely see offroad pro's racing with trials tires is that off-road race courses are generally quite easy from a technical standpoint for a pro-level rider. They're not struggling to get up something, they're trying to do it very very very fast. OTOH, non-pro riders may find an enduro or national hare and hound course to be somewhat challenging, and may therefore have different equipment needs than top pros.

I'm not anywhere near the skill level of a pro rider, but even I find no need for a trials tire for the races I do (local and national desert races, isde qualifiers, local and national enduros). OTOH, for riding in the idaho mountains, on narrow steep twisty technical difficult singletrack, they are mo betta. :banana:

I'm starting my second season in the Missouri Ozarks on a trials tire, and love it. Have found that it works very well in just about anything except deep, loose mud. Being far from a pro level rider, I've never had any issues with high speed instability, but do see where they could be lacking in fast, flat corners due to a lack of any real side knobs. Pinch flats aren't anymore of a problem than with a knobbie, just use a HD tube, 9-10lbs of air, and go. If you slam a ledge hard enough to pinch flat that setup, your going to pinch flat a knobbie too.

Like I tell everyone, try a trials tire. You'll never know for sure until you do.

And if you don't like it, take it off and send it to me. I'll be more than happy to dispose of it for you.:banana:

You definitely need to change your riding style to a more smooth roll on, roll off the throttle versus point and shoot but once you get used to it you'll be much faster.

Based on this testament, is it alright to run a trials tire on a trail-ridden 125 two stroke? My concern lies in the fact that a 125 isn't all that much of a "roll on the throttle" kind of bike as is a thumper, kdx, or the like. Any 125 rider is going to be fanning the clutch, creating wheelspin, and thereby getting piss poor performance out of the tire. No?

Based on this testament, is it alright to run a trials tire on a trail-ridden 125 two stroke? My concern lies in the fact that a 125 isn't all that much of a "roll on the throttle" kind of bike as is a thumper, kdx, or the like. Any 125 rider is going to be fanning the clutch, creating wheelspin, and thereby getting piss poor performance out of the tire. No?

More likely, the trials tire (if your on rocks, roots, hardpack, etc..) is going to hook up like bubble gum and bog the 125, with no wheelspin. They stick that good.

More likely, the trials tire (if your on rocks, roots, hardpack, etc..) is going to hook up like bubble gum and bog the 125, with no wheelspin. They stick that good.

You beat me to it. :banana: A 125 rider will have to really work the clutch.

I think it'd do fine on a 125 really. Might help. You will have to use the clutch a lot, but riding a 125 you should be used to that.

I love hearing someone say they won't use a trials tire because the look gay. I just take a moment to think about who looks gay when they're struggling to make it up a hill climb wide open in 2nd with the wheel spinning every which way and going nowhere, and I just creep around them in 1st without a single slip. Makes me grin every time. I catch some hell from my buddies about the tire, but most of them have ridden my bike, and a couple of them have ordered trials tires afterward. Hilarious.

I agree with everyone else i love my trials tires, ive ridden with it in mud, dry loose stuff and everything else and it out performs a knobbie in everything, even sand. Ive never gotton a pinch flat or had any problems with the tire, and out lasts any tire. Im a pretty agressive rider and i still favor it over the knobbie.

I think the best part is I've had the same tire on the rear of the bike for about 18 months now and it's still working just as good as the day I got it. Try THAT with a friggen knobby!

Thanks to everyone for their reply! Living in Arkansas riding White Rock & Chadwick, MO where both areas are extremely rocky I decided to give the trials tire a try. The comment about the tire looking gay made me laugh. If you see a 300 pounder riding a CRF 450 with a trials tire please let me know what you think! I ordered the following excel rim, excel HD spokes, UHD tube, Perelli MT43. Cant wait to hook it all up! Safe riding to you all!

Excellent. Then you can keep a good knobby on your old rim in case you want to swap back and forth. Best of both worlds...