Sign in to follow this  

xr400 vs klx450?

i ve owned my xr4 for almost 2 years now and let me say i do love the ol bike! its gets the job done well, is a pleasure to ride with my daughter and a lot of my boys on the modern 4 strokes cant hang with me in the trails. however everyone around me with modern bikes make me what something newer and my xr4 is in need of gaskets and seals.

so ive been researching the klx450r. it seems to be a nice trail bike with a little more power updated suspension. the electric start doesnt really matter to me, as my xr4 kicker has never been an issue (unless i lay it down) but am i getting myself into something i dont want/need? ive already decided that i wont sell my xr4 ever! but am i going to notice a big difference with a newer bike, or just be setting myself up for more maintenance and less reliability?

i guess just seeing the instant rip out of the newer bikes (although i know its not putting all that power down as efficiently as my xr) makes me want it! maybe its just a phase... opinions are appreciated

My advice, for what it's worth, is this:

If you're happy with the reliability and performance of your current bike, don't buy a new one for the sake of "newness". It costs far less to do your seals and gaskets than a new bike, with its assorted hop-up parts you'll invariably get (we all do it, even when we swear we're gonna leave it bone stock. No. Seriously...)

The XR4 is a very reliable bike, from all I've read and heard, and you are likely to get many more years use out of it before it becomes so obsolete that you're truly in need of an upgrade...

i ve owned my xr4 for almost 2 years now and let me say i do love the ol bike! its gets the job done well, is a pleasure to ride with my daughter and a lot of my boys on the modern 4 strokes cant hang with me in the trails. however everyone around me with modern bikes make me what something newer and my xr4 is in need of gaskets and seals.

so ive been researching the klx450r. it seems to be a nice trail bike with a little more power updated suspension. the electric start doesnt really matter to me, as my xr4 kicker has never been an issue (unless i lay it down) but am i getting myself into something i dont want/need? ive already decided that i wont sell my xr4 ever! but am i going to notice a big difference with a newer bike, or just be setting myself up for more maintenance and less reliability?

i guess just seeing the instant rip out of the newer bikes (although i know its not putting all that power down as efficiently as my xr) makes me want it! maybe its just a phase... opinions are appreciated

Well Ryan, maybe it is just a phase. I guess the question is, are you just trying to save money or are you wanting to add to your stable? (You did say that you would not sell the XR4). I have two dirt bikes and two 4 wheelers and sometimes I'm waiting for a ride! :lol:

I guess this is tax refund time. :banana:

I was in the same situation,recently...

I decided to keep Xr4...

Xr is off road capable,durable,reliable,easy/low-cost maintenance bike...

KLX450r is a race bike(more power,updated suspension),with questionable durability,reliability and expensive maintenance...

So...

It depends...

Which features are more important to you?

What you think about 300 2T?

Ivan

reliability, low operating cost are probably the most important to me. i was under the impression that the klr model was more a trail bike then a race bike? but what the hell honda... why stop making the user friendly xrs? y didnt they come out with an updated one... aluminum frame, new suspension, SAME power plant? just doesnt make sense...