Sign in to follow this  

XR600 forks on a 250? Anyone done this?

I have a 88' XR250 and I'm thinking about putting a front end off a 95' XR600 on it. My brother used to ride the 250 when he was younger and hasn't ridden for years since. Well he has packed on quite a few pounds since then and I'm thinking the bike needs some help since he wants to start riding it again. I have a 600 that I did an USD conversion on and I have the complete front end off it including the wheel, brake, triples, and forks. We don't want to spend any money upgrading the suspension but I think since my bro weighs in at 285 the 600 front end would probably work well. I glanced at the head tubes and the stem on the 600 is much longer but I think that the 250 stem may press into the 600 triple. Anyone have any experience with this? I'll have to do something with the shock too but that's a different project.

My first thought is that he is way too big for the 250. Second thought is money is gonna have to be spent on the rear shock to even things out. I would try maybe trading the 250+cash for something bigger for him.

For the amount of riding that my brother is going to do that doesn't make any sense. We have owned the bike since it was new and it's in excellent condition. I'm just asking if someone has done this before.

Why not try a 400 front end and get heaver springs. The forks are bigger and to even out the suspension you shouldent have to do too much to the rear shock. Im sure that someone that did the usd conversion could part with the old stuff for cheep.

Can't imagine it wouldn't work, though I can't help with specifics. Worse case is you need a conversion bearing to mate the two. Are the 600 forks longer? Seems like the steering is slower on them than the 250 if memory serves, haven't had either for a few years, though I think my 350 shares most everything with the 600. Less steep steering angle?

Someone will know. :banana:

The 600 forks are longer but I believe I have enough room to slide the forks down and make them about the same. I'm just going to give it a go when I get some time and I'll let you guys know what I find.

The 600 forks should work,you have the right idea about sliding the forks up in the triple tree.

I myself put inverted forks from a cr on my xr250r and love the way it rides,i am about 250lb.

Yogi bolted on a set of XR600 forks on a XR200, I think the steering head bearings are the same, a part fiche search will tell.

check out the "Fitment" tab and you will see that the bearings are the same between many honda bikes.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=505745&store=Main&catId=&productId=p505737&leafCatId=&mmyId=794

Yogi bolted on a set of XR600 forks on a XR200, I think the steering head bearings are the same, a part fiche search will tell.

Really?? So my 350 forks should work on my 200 then..... hmmmmmmmmm

(bikes in the shop getting USD and old forks coming home)

You rat bastards!:banana: I posted this topic about a month with only one reply. WAH-WAH-WAH!!!

The 600's forks are slightly bigger, about 1-2mm thicker than 250's. So the entire clamp set-up will have to change over. I believe the bearings are the same for the 600 and the 250. I looked them up.

I too want to do el cheapo conversion for 2 reasons; I already have all the 600 stuff and I'm not experienced enough to do anything crazy on a bike.

Let us know how it turns out.

I have a set of XR650L forks on my XR250L. I believe the 600R and 650L forks are rather similar.

Used the top/bottom clamps from the 650L, (650L forks are 43mm, vs 41mm for the 250L and R), and retained the 250L's steering stem (650L steering stem is way too long). Steering head bearings are the same for the 650 and 250.

Replaced the front wheel bearings to larger size ones to fit the 650L axel and also got a 650L speedo drive.

There are some minor issues with front wheel centering and brake caliper alignment, but nothing a few well placed washers cannot solve.

Had to slide the much longer 650 forks up the clamps to prevent the bike from looking like a Harley.

The more I look into this I think it will be an easy swap. I actually have 92' and 95' XR600 forks. They are both 43mm but the 92' has a smaller axle which I believe is the same as the 250! I can do this either way since I have the complete wheel and brake setup from the 95'. I'll keep you guys posted.