Sign in to follow this  

80ft lbs?????

So I pulled my 08 450R apart to regrease all the bearings and am now assembling it. I am putting the triple clamps back on and noticed the manual says to torque the 32mm stem nut to 80ft lbs? That just doesnt seem right. Will that skinny ass aluminum nut torque that far without stripping?? Any input from u guys??

Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I know? Because I tried. I don't think I even got to 15 foot pounds before the nut stripped.

My manual says the same thing. Maybe they meant 8 foot pounds??

Mine (yz250) goes to spec of 105ft lbs no problem. +1 on using grease. You don't want any galling.

Are you talking about the castellated nut under the top clamp? Or the actual nut on top of the top clamp?

I've cleaned and greased the bearings on my 08' at least 5 times and never had any problem putting it back together. Top nut torqued to 80 ftlbs, and I use a rag and channel locks on the castellated nut to get the amount of drag I like on my steering. I know some people use a hammer and a punch, but I like the rag and pliers method.

Just my thoughts.

Stem nuts take the torque well. Only oil if the manual says so. If it does not specify oil and you do oil it then you should reduce the final torque - some say up to 20-30%. I like to use a light amount of oil, wipe and torque to 95% but that's just me. Last time I just pinned the handle bar to my chest while tightening the nut with a breaker bar - worked just as good.

Good luck.

thanks for the reply guys, I will give it a shot. I think I will try like 40, 60 and then if it feels ok will go to 80.

I hope I didn't make a mistake but I was referring to the nut in the picture below. On my bike, this nut cannot be torqued down to anywhere near 80 ft lbs, no way, not gonna happen. I just browsed online and found that most aftermarket triple clamp kits don't include the nut in the picture - so mine must be stock?

sterringstem006.jpg

thats the one. Mine is the one that came stock and is maybe like 3/16" thick, and made of aluminum, thats why I was worried about it stripping. As soon as my forks get back and I torque everything down I will report back on if it held up or not.:banana: