Sign in to follow this  

CDI into a 83 XL 100s Conversion?????

I have a 1983 XL 100s. I just put a CRF100 engine from a 2008 model into my 1983 XL frame. I am really confused on how to make the CDI and Coil from the crf 100 work in my 83 XL. Does anyone have some tips on how to do the wiring to make this CDI conversion??

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to add some of the external XL wiring for the lights and stuff or just the motor to the coil and CDI?

I have the crf100 engine mounted into my 83 xl frame. I need to hook the cdi up to the crf 100 engine and to all the prexisting 83 honda wiring to make the lights and key ignition work! do I just match the colored wires to the identical colors???

The number one problem is the stock stator doesn't put out enough wattage for what you need. You need to get a Baja Designs stator for about $69. You can always sell you stator to recoup the costs or just keep it. I can't remember which wire to tap into. There's two extra wires for the ignition switch, I don't think it's those to tap into. I have a complete street kit on one of my bikes, I can look tomorrow and see which one I tapped into. If you don't get a better answer by tomorrow, I'll pull my seat and tank off and check.

Edited by socalxr

Get a Ricky stator, under $75 :banana:. The XL & XR ignition are like night and day...you could swap your crankshafts, to save some cash:ride:.