Sign in to follow this  

Whoops help

I ride where there are many woops and other large bumps. As I am going over them which is usually around 3 or 4th gear, my back tire seems to be all over the place, bouncing from left to right. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how to fix this. Thanks

I would recommend you read the TT tips and everything else on the web about whoops, rockers, braking bumps and don't forget to study the suspension tips. It may not be you as much as the suspension setup. Get a good ideal and then figure out what will work with your riding style and confidence with your bike. I could write a book about how I attack this subject, but I feel you will learn more if you did some good research on the subject and realy focus on the suspension setup first. You could be doing everything right and the bike is just not reacting to the punishment you are putting it in. I call it punishment because if the bike is not setup right thats what its doing to the suspension and your body. Good luck.

sounds like to much rebound...did you crank down on the spring trying to get your sag right?

pick one gear through the woops and dont change halfway through etc

try keep same revs through straight instead of gassing it then letting off the gas

keep weight to the back of the bike

these tips work for me but i think you should really look at the people who do your section of whoops really good and ask them for tips

Keep contact with the pegs as much as possible. If they go down push down. Anticipate the rebound and move your body with or against it depending on the force you expect to receive from the next whoop.

your legs are a good part of it to by squeezing the frame of the bike and keeping it from getting squirly through the whoops

ok. thank you everyone for all the advice. as soon as the snow melts i will go try it all.

There are three different techniques for whoops.

A. Jumping through the troughs of the whoops.

B. Front wheel placement.

C. Skimming the tops of the whoops.

Some key points to practice are;

- Keep your weight off of the handlebars. (This is the most important thing).

- Clutch and throttle control along with body movements are what gives you control.

- Keep the balls of your feet on the foot-pegs.

- Your handgrip should be in the accelerating position (high over grip). This is so your body movements can work through your whole range of motion over the bike.

- Hold onto the bike with your knees.

- Look far enough out in front of you to be ready for the four or fifth whoop, not just the next one or two.

When the whoops are uneven you most likely will have to use a combination of all three techniques. Make sure you look far enough ahead so you are ready for what’s coming up.

For all the info about whoops check out my Vo. 1 Techniques DVD # 3 (The Art of Jumping and Whoops) or Vo. 2 Techniques DVD # 3 (All About Jumping and Whoops). See free previews and order online at www.gsmxs.com.

Full downloads for as little as 1.95 at: www.mxraceschool.com

:banana::thumbsup::lol:

• Like 1

Obviously our resident expert is right. I actually picked up Vol. I DVDs #1 and #3 - #3 specifically being about whoops (and jumps) - going to go try out my new practice techniques this afternoon. on paper, it makes a lot of sense!

Before entering the whoop section try upshifting once or twice. When lugging it through the rear suspension will react much better (binding less with the motor) than riding on the rev limiter.

my technique is when lining up for whoops is depending on your speed if you are tearing along 4th gear and keep it pinned while keeping your weight back to mid way on the bike and if you are just starting to get used to the whoops just roll over them then work your way up until you realize that the faster you go the easier it is and the back wheel thing i wouldnt worry about that i get it aswell the main thing is just to keep it pinned wide open and keep your weight slightly back but maintain attack position hope that this has helped you.

I ride where there are many woops and other large bumps. As I am going over them which is usually around 3 or 4th gear, my back tire seems to be all over the place, bouncing from left to right. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how to fix this. Thanks

what do you have for a bike?

A lot of good advice. I would ensure your suspension is set first. I would hazard a guess on your rebound. Seems like when I soften mine my back end is more quiet in whoops and bucks less on braking bumps, IMO.

i ride an 04 rm125 and i havent tried softening the rebound. i did stiffen it a couple clicks but thats about it. i keep it pinned through them with my weight back. the woops are about 5 feet apart and about 3 ft deep if this helps? :thumbsup:

before i enter the whoops i make sure that im gripping the bike tightly with my knees then i upshift to 4th and pop a lil wheelie then skim across the top and if u get sideways fan the clutch and grip tighter but never let off the throttle.