Sign in to follow this  

09 300xc starter fix?

So I've done lots of reading on this fourm and read that people are sealing the hole in the bottom of the LHS cover. Then tapping a new hole in the top and putting an upward vent hose to prevent dirt and water contamination. Also read that you remove all the grease and run oil (motor or ATF?) instead. I want to know if this is accurate and how much oil do you put in (some/full)? I do that I will still have to take this appart every 20 or so hours to check the bendix play. Any insite on if this is correct would be greatly appresiated as I will attempt to make the modifications tommorow.

Thanks

Cletus

Here's the vid on putting oil in that cover...

Up until 10 minutes ago I'd never heard of doing this, not sure it's worth the effort but has made me think I need to check on my starter and give it a service.

Thanks. I'm going to take slavens advice and punch a hole in the grommet instead of drilling the case. I also went to my local ktm dealer and tried to get bendix shims but he said that they are no longer available. Does anyone else know of another supplier?

Anyone know where I can get a set of starter needle bearings? Mine have rusted into an unusable mass. Didn't see those listed in the parts catalog.