Sign in to follow this  

Valves & Cams on rebuild

Hi guys, it's been a while, but it's time to get the DRZ back into action. I'll be doing an engine rebuild on my '03 S. The head will be going off to Eddie for RHC valves, springs and such. Specifically I would like to know what size valves will work best for this build. I would like to get everything planned out before pulling the trigger on buying parts. The setup will be as follows:

3X3

K&N

CVK40 (adjusted for the DRZ)

E base gasket

Yoshimura full sys (semi uncorked, modified db cork)

I will at least be doing a Hotcams Stage1 intake, possibly exhaust also

My questions are:

1. With this setup, will the exhaust cam make a big enough difference to justify the additional cost?

2. I imagine oversize intake valves are in order, possibly exhaust also. What size do you recommend?

3. Are there any changes you would make to the current plan? I already have the Yosh. I don't think I'll ever do an FCR or big bore.

Any other tips would be appreciated. The bike will be mainly used for street, with the occasional off-road trip. I don't plan to be 'on the pipe' doing high rpm runs all the time, but when I want to let her rip and bang through the gears, I don't want any high rpm lag. As always, thanks for your help, knowledge and input.

Contact SSW before you ship your head for refurbish. The RHC stuff is hard to get sometimes.