Sign in to follow this  

2006 Crf 450. Good or Bad year?

Im seeing a lot of 06 CRF 450s in the classifieds. Was this a good year for the CRFs? I'm mainly wondering about reliability. I don't want to be changing heads and valves.... at all...

Also power and handling wise, how were they?

I have an 06 and its been a great bike. I changed my valves over to stainless and I havn't had to ajust them in 3 years. I think the bike handles well and has great power. If I were to buy another 06 or any year bike I would change it over to stainless valves and put a manual timing chain ajuster in it from the start. Those were the only real issues I have had with mine. This spring it'll get a piston and a new timing chain just because of the hours I have on it.

It is a great year ,however it is a very long stretch to imagine that you will not have to do anything to a bike that is 4 years old.

I have one that I bought in '05 just when it was released. It now has 140 hours on the clock. I'm the first owner and always took good care of the bike. In its lifetime it needed one top end change (well, not really needed but I did it as a preventative maintenance in 75 hours) and one change of clutch plates. Oh, and a few tires, 1 x-ring chain and a new set of sprockets. All that was with riding MX tracks only. For trail duty it would probably still be on the original top end and clutch plates. All the valves are still in spec - they never needed adjusting - and the bike still rips like it used to when it was new.

The motor on this bike is very strong, with great wide torque and easy to control. The suspension is better than my '08 came with. It also handles better than my '08 did before I changed the triple clamps on it. You absolutely can't go wrong with one of these as long as it was taken care of.

I switch from a 2005 YZ250 to the 06 Honda. I was extremely apprehensive at first because I heard all about Honda's unreliability and valve problems. My 06 YZ450 was bullet proof and after 2 months I feel like the Honda is just as reliable and its fit and finish is top notch.