Sign in to follow this  

09 crf450 tank

I am putting on a oversized tank and this is the first time for fuel injection for me. I read the book says to let the pressure out by un hooking wire. Now to get it going again will i need the battery harness deal?? please help. Also if i run out of gas on a hare scramble or enduro will i not get it started again:worthy:

Will start just by kicking - no need to prime or do anything special. If you are putting on an IMS tank beware the bolts will sieze in the tank nuts making removal of the pump impossible in future.

The solution is to put studs in and use nuts to hold the pump on instead of bolts.

The problem is the stock bolts are too long and bottom out and get seized. Put a small washer on the bolt and put antiseize lube on and you'll be ok. It took me two tanks to figure that out.

Stewart Frank

09CRF450R

04CRF250X

You do not need to let the pressure out of the system. The whole pump assembly will just unbolt from the stock tank and re-mount into the IMS tank. I have switched back and forth with mine a half dozen times or more, never needed to un-hook any wires or fuel connections. I have not had any problems with my bolts getting siezed in the IMS tank either, but getting shorter bolts and anti-sieze would ensure it never happens to you. No need to build fuel pressure with a battery if you run out, just kick it over gently 10 or so times and you will be good to go!!

I'm waiting for my 3rd IMS tank to arrive—they warrantied the first 2. I've used shorter bolts, never seize, the additional washers they shipped with the 2nd tank, and even some more washers that I bought myself. The bolts still seize up due to some very flawed manufacturing.

My fix was outlined above. Get yourself some metric 31mm (long) studs and forget about it. IF they seize inside the inserts it won't matter—your pump still comes out because you can unbolt it from the studs. Furthermore, when you want to remove the pump it's really quick like this.

On a side note, I got a Clarke tank because I got tired of this happening to my IMS tanks. Wouldn't you know it, where the pump mounts to the tank on the Clarke it was warped and leaked all over the place. Ofcourse, Clarke sent me a new tank in 2 days no questions asked. I'm patiently waiting on my next IMS tank to arrive in the mail. I'll have a hard time deciding which one to keep and which one to sell. Either way, I'll be studding the tank and buying a 2nd fuel pump. Swapping the pumps is radically overrated and it'd be nice to just switch to my stocker when I feel the urge.

I'm waiting for my 3rd IMS tank to arrive—they warrantied the first 2. I've used shorter bolts, never seize, the additional washers they shipped with the 2nd tank, and even some more washers that I bought myself. The bolts still seize up due to some very flawed manufacturing.

My fix was outlined above. Get yourself some metric 31mm (long) studs and forget about it. IF they seize inside the inserts it won't matter—your pump still comes out because you can unbolt it from the studs. Furthermore, when you want to remove the pump it's really quick like this.

On a side note, I got a Clarke tank because I got tired of this happening to my IMS tanks. Wouldn't you know it, where the pump mounts to the tank on the Clarke it was warped and leaked all over the place. Ofcourse, Clarke sent me a new tank in 2 days no questions asked. I'm patiently waiting on my next IMS tank to arrive in the mail. I'll have a hard time deciding which one to keep and which one to sell. Either way, I'll be studding the tank and buying a 2nd fuel pump. Swapping the pumps is radically overrated and it'd be nice to just switch to my stocker when I feel the urge.

Man, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I've have also gone thru 3 IMS and one Clarke tank. I am now waiting on my 2nd tank form Clarke to come in. In addition to the bolts getting seize, the biggest problem that I had with all of them is the plastic were the pump sit's is not thick enough and warps, and gas starts leaking around the pump. If you look how the stock Honda tank is made the plastic where the pump sit's is way more thicker. That's how they need to make them. You right about putting studs in, I'm going to try that on my next one. Hey also Clarke told me the new tank they are sending me has updated stud inserts. Look to me they have been having a stud problem!

Stewart Frank

Yeah, it would seem that Honda needs to manufacture us an oversized tank because they are the only ones who can build a tank correctly. You're right about the bottom of the tank on the stocker—it is much thicker. I will say this though, I never have issues with my IMS till I want to pull my pump. The Clarke didn't even allow me to ride.

So I dunno, it's frustrating and with the first race of the season this weekend I'll be at a disadvantage by having to pit.

Did anyone try the Acserbis tank? Is see justgastanks.com has them.

No, but if I can't get the Clarke or IMS to stop leaking, I'll be trying one of those. BaindSide I'm with you on piting, it SUCKS:thumbsdn:

Stewart