Sign in to follow this  

The oil gallery jet to the head is awfully small...

That is the small jet in the crank case which feeds oil up through the cylinder wall and into the head (via the bolt above the cam chain).

There are only two little holes in the bottom of the jet - is this all that is feeding that oh so critical oil to the cam journals etc? If something were to block them it would be all over...?

Whats the point of restricting the oil at this point anyway - perhaps to build pressure to the jet which points at the piston skirt?

My guess is... the cam journals don't need any real flow... they just need to have enough volume to keep pressure, any more oil than that can cause leaks. Also... the oil is gravity fed back down into the crankcase... so if you have unlimited flow to the cams... you could (in theory) send enough oil to the head to starve the rest of the system.

Sure... if that plugged up... you would starve the cams... but if something plugged the jet... it would be big enough to eat a cam journal also. Besides... your oil should be clean, and filtered before it gets to the critical engine parts.

Yeah, I suppose that must be the case. It just makes me a little uncomfortable seeing those two tiny (~0.5mm) holes in the bottom of that jet....

Restrictors always serve the purpose of directing flow where it needs to go. Do not be tempted to drill it out.