Sign in to follow this  

Race Tech emulators or CR85 forks?

I really can't decide which one I want. I need some facts and opinions.

1.Facts

2.Opinions

3.Which ones easier to install (for the CR85 forks, after you have all the parts)

4.Pro's

5.Con's

Please Help!!!

(Dwight, I know you like the emulators)

with emulators the dampening will be better than the damning on the 85 forks

37mm forks are plenty enough strength and have just enough flex to make the ride nice and smooth

the emulators are far easier to install

XR200s use damper rod forks like the CRF150/230, but with 10" of travel on my year and drum brake. I installed a set of CR80 USDs (same as CR85s) on my XR200 to get more travel, cartridge damping, a disk brake, and to reduce weight. The following are my opinions based on that experience and reading about installing CR80/85 USDs on CRF150/230s:

The CR85 forks may be difficult, and/or expensive, to install if you need a stem.

They provide 10.8" of travel.

The CR80/85 brake uses a single piston caliper and small pads which doesn't provide enough braking torque on a heavier bike with a 21" wheel.

RT Gold Valves are available and provide two-stage compression damping.

They use a 12mm axle and will require an adapter to use your 150 wheel, (the 150/230s use a 15mm axle).

They will need new springs.

The rear shock will need replacing so plan $500 for that cost.

They are easier to fine tune because of the adjusters (clickers).

They are more difficult to set up than damper rod forks because they must be disassembled to change damping, partial dissassemble to change springs or oil height. The same things can be done on a damper rod fork by removing the top cap.

RT Emulators in stock forks will get you close and they are very easy to install and tune.

You may want to upgrade the rear shock to match the better performance of the emulators. Dwight competes using damper rod forks with emulators so you know they work for his level of riding.

So the conversion can be done, but is the improvement worth the time and money?

To help with the answer you need to define your riding skills, the terrain you ride, how you ride this bike, and your expectations of performance. One thing you can do to get a feel for the complete front and rear CR suspension setup is to ride a 150R on your trails because it is a CR80/85 with a 4T motor. In my case I had developed a set of goals for a project bike and the choice of CR80/85 USD forks came later while searching for components that would support the goals.

Hope this helps

agree with the posts above, but have an actual comparison on my wife's bike.

we originally had a local racing shop go through the front and rear suspension (was stock originally) and they put in race tech gold valve emulators as well as changing the springs in the 230 forks. rear shock spring was changed for my wife's weight. the ride was better than stock, but ...

eventually i did the reger engineering cr85 front fork conversion kit (purchased the cr85 forks separately), had the front cr85 forks revalved and completely gone through by factory connection, and had a works connection rear shock made that actually lowered the bike some because my wife was very short. i know the rear shock made a huge improvement, but the front forks were drastically improved as well in my opinion. it cost more, but was worth every penny to me. i rode the bike some myself and there was some improvement of the race tech gold valve system over stock 230 forks, but the jump to the cr85 revalved forks was huge. for me the suspension is the most important place for spending money for improvements if you are going to upgrade the bike.

it cost more for the cr85 fork conversion, but after actually seeing the difference, i would put my money into an inverted fork system if possible. if money is an issue, the emulators do help improve the ride for the average rider. we ride all day and i don't want my wife all beat up at the end of the day - i did a major suspension upgrade on my xr650r to reduce fatigue and soreness as well as improve ride performance - when i saw the more than expected benefits, my wife's bike got the same.

The CR80/85 brake uses a single piston caliper and small pads which doesn't provide enough braking torque on a heavier bike with a 21" wheel.

They use a 12mm axle and will require an adapter to use your 150 wheel, (the 150/230s use a 15mm axle).

They will need new springs.

The rear shock will need replacing so plan $500 for that cost.

One thing you can do to get a feel for the complete front and rear CR suspension setup is to ride a 150R on your trails because it is a CR80/85 with a 4T motor.

I'm using almost all the parts from Regers kit. So I'll use my stock wheel and brake.

I'm getting new .44kg for the forks.

You don't HAVE to replace the shock. I'll probably just get race tech gold valves or something.

I have ridden a 150R before and liked it alot on the trails. I just couldn't get it because it was a race bike and 1k to expensive.

I think I'll do the conversion and if I don't like it, hey I'll sell it for $600 and put my stock forks back on...I could put my stock forks back on right?

i have some 85 forks if you want them, got the triple clamps, fenders what ever you need