Sign in to follow this  

wife wants to ride

What kind of dirt bike would you guys recomened for a 5'7, 290lbs chick who wants to ride with her hubby who has a YZF 426? She's never ridden a motorcycle before. I'm trying to convince her to quad up. Maybe around 400-500cc with an auto clutch. Lay it on me guys please. :banana:

Please dont turn her into a quadtard. :banana:

Get her a small bike and teach her to ride. Something with a low seat height. TW200, XT225/250, crf230, ttr225 or ttr250. Something with Estart since she will stall it a lot. Then go to the nearest shop and buy her ALL the safety gear you can afford.

get something you can resell easily when she gets bored with it :lol:

I bought my wife an xt225 to learn on, she is only 5' tall so we needed something with a really low seat height. The very first lesson, i pushed it out in the yard, laid it down and taught her how to pick it up :banana:. Second lesson was all the controls, etc... how to turn the fuel on, etc.....Third lesson was how the clutch worked, how the transmission worked etc....

Go slow, be safe, be patient and try to have fun.

I think the TW200 would be a perfect bike for her to learn on, yeah its only a 200 but they are geared great, very forgiving and wont scare her, it will pull her around just fine. Its more of a dual sport but will tackle some easier trails if/when she is ready.

She's 5-7, so she's not short. I would be looking at the ttr230 or the crf230. They both have e-start and are easy to ride.

I do worry that the bike will sit lower with her on it, but it should be the perfect bike for learning on. I think you'll be upgrading bikes soon after she learns more and gets more comfortable.

ttr125L or crf150, both low cost .... and gear:thumbsup:, upgrade with experience.

all the points here have been covered but just make sure its used and not brand new

also a quad will probably make her more comfertable if she's never ridden a bike, IMHO quads arent as fun to ride but they are easier for noobs who dont care to learn new skills and just want to ride

Its a good question and I have gone through a similar exercise. I believe the very best option is the Honda CRF 230. It is lighter than the Yammy, and has a bit mote poke. That said it is a tractoring type engine that will ride easily over everthing due in part to its great six speed box. It is an ideal machine that can when the time comes be inprived with a pipe and jetting etc.

From my experience with friends who have done the same thing, please be sure to pick bike with a very broad, non-intimidating power band. That way it's fun to learn to ride with less stalling. Also, for the first couple of times out at the track, please stay with her the whole time. This will really help in answering questions as they come up and helps build confidence.

Wish you both happy trails. :banana:

ttr125L or crf150, both low cost .... and gear:thumbsup:, upgrade with experience.

at 290lbs, this bike wouldnt move her very well.

At the very least get her a TTR or CRF 230. They are very tame bikes that will pull her well enough.

at 290lbs, this bike wouldnt move her very well.

At the very least get her a TTR or CRF 230. They are very tame bikes that will pull her well enough.

imo, they would be the upgrade, considering rider experience, seat height, and weight of bike.

im just saying, my wife has a crf150f, shes 105lbs. Im 170 lbs and it sags real bad. a 290lb woman would bottom the suspension out. im not trying to be insensitive, just trying to get the right bike for her.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm taking her out over easterweekend on a Polaris 350 rental quad. See how it goes so stay tuned ya'll......

I like how total newbs to bikes dont wear any gear at all not even shoes and then try to assisinate grandma

I agree w/the CRF230. A bike with ergos that she won't feel so cramped on, though expect that you'll be picking it up for her after the first few times because it's pretty heavy.

I'd also recommend finding other couples to ride with. I know in my experience, my riding desire and ability both went WAY up when I found us a new riding group.

We rode mostly w/his buddies prior to that... and since I felt they were always waiting on my, I'd often just tell him to go without me. Well, his buddies have all kind of fallen by the wayside (they don't ride much any more), and I have since found a great group of guys and gals who are all laid back riders. Sure, a couple of the guys race enduros, but they are just happy to be out riding, and don't mind riding a section fast and hanging around gabbing while they wait for some of the slower gals. Plus the women in the group have all been very patient, undertanding, and have given me some pointers that my husband never thought to tell me (or maybe did not tell me in a way I understood). I've ridden a succession of bikes, but am now happily on a KTM 200EXC, and have actually become fast enough to pass a more seasoned rider in our group. This was basically just over the course of last fall (got the bike late September and rode halfway through November... finally rode enough to really start to get good).

If you can find a nice group like that to ride with... you'll have a riding buddy for life! :thumbsup:

WHAT SHE SAID^ over the years i have spent a large pile of $ on bikes i wanted her to ride,AFTER supper camp she now picks her own bikes and i just pick the route around her skill and bike. All my riding buddies no longer ride,so its just us.

She now has a ke100. she wanted a dual sport. life is good !!