Sign in to follow this  

Engine operating temperature normal?

Guys,

My vector tells me my engine is running at around 59c on a cold day (138F)

Is this normal/acceptable? Seems very cool.

seems fine to me, normaly road/gravel highway riding mine sits at about the same maybe a few C higher

Seems very cold to me too... :banana:

EDIT: I can't find any data now, but should it not be around 195F or so?

Also, where are you measuring?

Guys,

My vector tells me my engine is running at around 59c on a cold day (138F)

Is this normal/acceptable? Seems very cool.

When the air temp is cool and I'm on the move my bike runs near those temps also.

I don't see engine temps that low, but then these old bones don't like to get out when the ambient temps are below 40F. I don't like to run the bike when the engine temp is below 150F, as I don't think it's warmed up enough. Mine's a green E without the thermostat so it's not going to have that benefit towards keeping the engine warm enough.

I'm on an E too so assume I don't have a thermostat either.

Hopefully these engine temps are nothing to worry about.

Having thought about this a bit more, I think I must have a thermostat now - due to the fact i've put an S/M engine into my bike.

138F on a cold day is normal on a Vapor/Vector.

When you say this, do you mean this is the actual temperature of the engine or only what the Vapor indicates?

vapor indication

Right, so what is normal operating temp and how many degrees deviation is there from hot to cold weather?

You guys are over analyzing and worrying.

Unless you have a temp sensor in the head measuring flowing coolant, you will not get a accurate true temp. If your bike has a thermostat and the thermostat is closed, the water pump is not circulating coolant through the barrel and head. Just sitting there, developing localized hot spots. Again, no way to get a true temp.

If your sensor is out side of the engine like in the radiator, heat has been shedded between the engine and wherever the sensor is located.

If you have an E and place the sensor in the bleed screw on the water outlet, you will get a pretty good number. Everyone else will get just a number. Truth be told, this is fine as the value is to see an abnormal change.

My SM has the sensor in the right radiator, in the OEM temp bung below the radiator cap. On a cold day, I can see the thermostat opening and closing (around 135), with about a 10 to 15 degree upward temp swing. On a hot day, I'll see 200+ if my speeds are below 15 mph.

Is the thread pitch in the bleed screw at the water pump on an E the same as the bleed screw at the top of the left rad?

Steve