Sign in to follow this  

help...what is this part ??

I bought a great 2002 yz250 and I love this bike! :banana: I believe it may have an aftermarket spacer that moves the reed valve assy. back towards the air filter. Some of you guys please take a look at his pic. Is this stock or is there as extra spacer in the reed valve assy. ?

If this is a spacer, Ive read it will help lessen the midrange hit, but hurts low end.. anyone have any experience with them ? Thanks!!!!

plate.gif

It is a spacer, but it is stock. They started putting them on in 2000 I believe. My 2005 has one as well.

side note. it looks like ur main fuel hose clamp needs to be slid up to the top of the line.. theres 2 at the bottom of the line kinda unsual. aahaha just an observation .. i could be wrong... on top of that ..they clamps dont do a whole lot with the intense pressure fit of the hose

The spacer lengthens the intake which gives you more bottom end. Take it out to gain more top end. Most keep it in though, I did with my bike.

Edited by rusky

I thought longer intakes give more bottom end. We did it to a friends YZ80 and I'm sure it was to get more bottom while he was learning. And also road bikes like the new R1 have variable intakes that go from long to short as you incease the revs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought longer intakes give more bottom end. We did it to a friends YZ80 and I'm sure it was to get more bottom while he was learning. And also road bikes like the new R1 have variable intakes that go from long to short as you incease the revs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

yea you're right, sorry i mixed my words up :banana:

cookiemonster nailed it. :banana:

According to the parts list, 2002 was the first year for the spacer (#7).

YZ250_intake.gif

http://www.yamahapartsdepot.com/fiche_select.asp

Yeah, has anyone tried that spacer on the 1998-2001 250s?

I tried a thick one on a 98 and took it right off....It did nothing to the low end and totally killed. To be fair, I was using a Moose Racign model that was twice as thick as the oem model.