Sign in to follow this  

Bike Protection

I'm looking for a decent bash plate for the 300XCW and thought one of these Hyde dealios might be the ticket so I would like some opinions from anyone who's used them. I have a Moose CF pipe guard and would like to try a Moose (Eline) CF skid plate but don't want to shell out the money right now for it PLUS I don't know if they are any good or not. I do quite a bit of riding in rocky terrain and the bike needs some protection. Opinions on disc guards, rad guards, and hand guards also appreciated. Thanks is advance.:banana:

I've got the Hyde skid plate on my '09 200 XC-W and am happy with it. Being some kid of teflon plastic, the plate helps the bike slip over logs when I don't carry enough momentum. It also doesn't have the harmonic resonance that some of the aluminum plates do. I have a Ricochet aluminum skid plate on another bike and like the Hyde much better.

Thanks for the feedback, estube! I have not pulled the trigger on the Hyde but if I get more positive opinions on it I surely will.

Flatland skidplate, Scotts damper, Scotts sharkfin, Cycra solutions handgaurds-covers up computer, Flatland pipe guard-don't crash on the pipe it'll bend, Tugger strap on rear,KTM round radiator guards, overflow bottle, Dyna jet, a couple of extra air filters and you're off and running.:banana: lets go riding!

Good deal, Chris! Let's get a ride together before April 11th....say weekend after next? I have the stab coming off my other bike just waiting for the mounting hardware. Have Cycras in any configuration for mounting including the Solution mount but would never consider blocking the computer....THAT THING IS TRICK!!!! OK....I'm all set. Need to quit thinking about it and start riding it. I'm following in your footsteps and I won't be upset at all if you call me "copy cat dirty rat".:banana::lol::lol: I'll be taking some time getting other stuff because now I'm BROKE....but happy:ride:

What's the "safe range" on 3 gallons?

I have a hyde plate on my new husky wr300. The mounting hardware appears kinda flimsy to me in comparison to others, so we'll see how it holds up. I like the idea of the slippery poly plate, but it is fairly tight fit and was more of a headache to install. i finally got it on by going to the hardware store and getting some longer screws to start with, then after i got it part way tightened, i was able to take out the longer screws one at a time and replace them with the proper screws.

as far as other protection, i don't generally use it. i don't bother with pipe guards because they just transfer the force somewhere else and then the pipe mounts on the frame bend and crack and fall off. I ride alot of extreme rocky terrain, but I ride it fairly carefully so as to avoid smashing rotors and stuff. I've bent one rotor ever in 40,000 miles or so of hard off-roading, and i've found 4-5 broken rotor guards on the trail in that time. Your mileage may vary tho, lol

Good points, llama. I did put on a CF pipe guard though and after reading your post I feel like taking it off. I was thinking the guard would protect it some not from bashing as much as it would from spray from the front tire or roost. Rotor guards are a wash probably but I've bent two fronts and a rear on the 450R in the last few weeks. The stock handguards on the KTM are adequate for now too. A good skid plate is mandatory, however.

Good points, llama. I did put on a CF pipe guard though and after reading your post I feel like taking it off. I was thinking the guard would protect it some not from bashing as much as it would from spray from the front tire or roost.

if you have the stock pipe, or a normal thin one, it makes sense to have some kind of protection for the rocks that the front tire kicks up. After the first high wind destroys the stock pipe, i usually get an fmf gnarly which is thick enough to resist dents and dings from kicked up rocks.

If i bent a couple rotors in a short amount of time, i would rethink whether I should use rotor guards. Your terrain or riding style make it seem like they might be a good idea :banana: .

I put the Flatland racing pipe guard on my bike. We ride in a lot of rocks and logs here and I have no complaints. I smashed a fairly solid stump with it last year and destroyed the stump and launched myself into the boonies but the bike didn't show any damage.. :banana: Here is a link. There is no rattle movement or vibration of any kind from this thing. Use a rubber mallet to form it tighter to your exhaust and don't be shy about the tightening the clamps.

http://flatlandracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FR&Category_Code=11-KTM

The Hyde rocks, they have up-dated the 2t guards, to let crud fall out behind the pipe, and it's 10 times easyer to mount up. :banana:

Coob, the solutions mount covers the front of the computer and it is still completely visible but protected.

Coob, the solutions mount covers the front of the computer and it is still completely visible but protected.

I'll have to see if the Solution mount I have will fit.....It's a little bent though:lol:

I mounted my hyde in ten minutes, it comes with one long screw to help keep the bracket in line, then I used a small bottle neck jack for a little pressure to get the short screws in.With th skid and pipe guard as one section, it should help absorb some force from impact......but if you hit hard enough any thing will break....

I have had a Hyde plate on my 300XCW for a couple years now...no problems. It was a little difficult to mount up. I have modified (cut or drilled) it a little to get the crud out of the bottom easier, access the power valve and changed some of the mounting hardware. It is a very good plate

The Hyde rocks, they have up-dated the 2t guards, to let crud fall out behind the pipe, and it's 10 times easyer to mount up. :banana:

I called them this morning and he explained how they changed the Mad Max Monstrocity by putting a beer can sized hole in there to let the crud drop out as well as get your hand in there for easier mounting. But, they are back ordered by about 3 weeks. So I'm going to wait until they have them in stock before I order. I don't want to be putting anything on the card that I'm not receiving right away.

I was going to just order the skid plate, but when I got to thinking about it, I'm going to go with the complete protection. I figure my pipe got a decent rock sized dent in it the first time out on the trails form a rock that the front wheel kicked up and if I get anymore, how much am I going to pay to get those dents taken out? Might as well put that money into the protection and not have to worry about the rock dents in the first place.

Besides, that thing is beefy looking and it's kind of like an English bulldog, it's really ugly to look at, but in a way it still looks good.

I have a hyde skid plate/pipe guard on my 08 crf450x. aside from the fact the guy that sells them is a major dickslap, the skid plate is the bomb. super light and strong. took a little jimmying to get it on, but ended up fitting pretty well.

Also running the hyde bark busters with the tapped end piece. much better than the traditional wedge set up. They don't move around.