Sign in to follow this  

Moving up to a 250F

Hey guys, I just got my KLX140L sold for $200 less then what I paid for it after learning to ride on it for a year :lol:. Right now I'm looking for a 250f, and there is a YZ that I've been looking at and it may very well be the one I buy. ButI'm alittle worried about riding it. Im 6'9" and 150lbs. And my first time riding the bike will be when I go to the guys house to try it out, and I really don't want to F*** up and wreak the guys bike.

The YZ is alot bigger then my KLX, but I don't think its that much heavier (due to E-start on the KLX). But I just want to know anything I can about riding the larger bike. The biggest thing I've ever ridden was my KLX. So a 250 is a big step for me :banana:

Any pointers?

well i'am 14 now, i had a ttr 90 when i was 10, then 4 years later decided to buy a yz 250f

the step was nothing(i rode a 250 2 stroke before the 250f and was fine) as the yzfs powerband is very smooth without a hit hence why its a easy bike to ride

definetely go the yz because they are the most reliable hi performance 4 stroke 250f compare to others which have valves issues etc

can you do regular maintenance like oil, filters and valves because any race 4 stroke will require you to keep a good maintenace scheduale

Dude,

At 6 foot 9 I would look at taking up another sport, like basketball, and go and make yourself millions of dollars. Then when you have more money than you know what to do with, buy property and build all the tracks you want and have as many bikes as you want.

:banana:

Ok thanks for the confidence boost. And I have a friend that has a 03 YZ250F and he'll help me with all the maintenance for the first couple of times until i get the hang of it.

Dude,

At 6 foot 9 I would look at taking up another sport, like basketball, and go and make yourself millions of dollars. Then when you have more money than you know what to do with, buy property and build all the tracks you want and have as many bikes as you want.

:banana:

OMG Fail! :lol: I ment 5'9"

The good thing about the 250f is you can lug it around and it doesn't mind. It has a powerband that easy to apply as you feel more confident, but it doesn't have the hard hit 2-strokes are famous for.

The size of the bike physically and the ergonomics ( cockpit area) are something you will quickly feel accustomed to. Your size means the suspension will soak-up everything you throw at it, except you may want to adjust your sag.

If you are a little bit intimidated about going up in bike size this is a perfect bike to learn on at your own pace, and as you get faster and more experienced, you will have a perfectly good bike for every class you race, or terrain you ride.

OMG Fail! :lol: I ment 5'9"

:banana: I was gonna say, you might want to move your bars up so your knees don't hit.

But seriously tho, my first bike was a KX250F and I didn't have any problems. After I had it for a year I went to change the piston and found out it has a +4mm Overbore (276cc).:banana: So I guess I've never riden a 250f:lol: BTW I'm 5'7" 130.

Ok, one more question. How should my feet be on the ground. Because I have sat on my friends YZ250f (he would never let me ride his baby) and one foot was flat the other was on its tip toes. Is that the right sizing or should I lower the bike.

That is fine...You only ever lean anyways. Don't forget you are growing, still.( Maybe you will be 6'9" some day) I know kids who have had to stand on little wooden blocks at the start when they first moved up to 250fs. ( He did have to use a rekluse, though...another story)

Ok, one more question. How should my feet be on the ground. Because I have sat on my friends YZ250f (he would never let me ride his baby) and one foot was flat the other was on its tip toes. Is that the right sizing or should I lower the bike.

and yeah size doesnt matter...look at james stewart, alot shorter than 5 foot 9.

I sold my klx 140l last year and stepped up to a crf250r. Its a big step but ur ganna get the hang of it really fast. Its not scary if thats what your thinking. I would definitely make the switch if I were you. Just make sure u maintenance the bike.

the main reason people crash on big bikes there first time, i think, is because when they stop they dont realize how fast they are going. so make sure ur ready to stop wen u wanna stop.